HardwareBanter

-   -   GFX card shot to hell (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=50640)

TomG September 8th 03 01:45 PM

GFX card shot to hell

the bad caps are affecting everything from TV's and VCR's to power supplies
and motherboards. I even heard about them in microwaves!

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror ----- Cable modem IP
over 115,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"Khayman" wrote in message
This is the second time it happens to me - crappy capacitators causing big
holes in my wallet...

Yesterday, me and my she was looking at "Gone in 60 Seconds" when all of a
sudden the film disappears - and my she notices a wierd smell coming from
the computer...
Taking it out I notice that one of the caps have "popped" - that what you
get for buying cheap graphic cards I suppose...
For once I kept the receipt (company money) - and guess when I bought the
godforsaken card? August 26, 2002.
One year warranty - two weeks overtime... Would the shop replace the card
for good PR? No fscking way.

New Geforce4Ti4200 in hand and I notice that Daytona apparently changed
manufacturer of the capacitators - from unknown, ungoogable "Canicon" to
"Rubycon"..
I wonder why....

So, if you happen to have some card/device/whatever which
is about to go out of warranty, check those capacitators!!
I've heard rumors that if you give a faulty cap a little bit too much

power,
they'll pop like a small firecracker - could be good to know...

(Last year it was a MSI motherboard that went "pop"... (pictures at my
http://mypostingip/mainboard.html))

Khay.

chainbreaker September 8th 03 02:02 PM

Khayman wrote:

(Last year it was a MSI motherboard that went "pop"... (pictures at my
http://mypostingip/mainboard.html))

Khay.

Dead link.

--
chainbreaker

If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.

Mangyrat September 8th 03 04:25 PM

and the year befor that it was abit be6 2 ver 2.0 boards with bad caps.
well caps can be replaced. a guy in abit new's groups will replace them for
around $50 i think his name was homie or somthing like that. cant hurt to
hunt him down and ask if he will do a video card. he was chargeing around
$50 to do a motherboard so a videocard shuld be cheaper.

--
If life is a bitch then live it like she is drunk and naked.

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

TomG September 8th 03 05:50 PM

--
Homie and BigBadger repair boards and have many happy
customers:

Homie (AKA Capman), in the US, at:

http://home.att.net/~garyheadlee/

(look for posts from BigBadger if you're in the UK or try him at
with the obvious
spam protection removed...)

Cory Dunkle September 8th 03 07:13 PM

Why not try soldering a new one on? If that works (i.e. no permanent damage
to card) then you may want to replace the rest. A soldering iron and fine
tip should cost $25 or less if you don't go with ultra-high quality stuff.
Should be able to get everything you need at Radio Shack. Soldering is a
good skill to have if you enjoy computers as a hobby. Lots of fun and
practical things you can do.

You could also complain to the card manufacturer and see if they will
replace it... Worth a try, and more likely to succeed that complaining to
the store you bought it from.

Cory

TomG September 8th 03 07:38 PM

oh, trust me. I am more than familiar with the story. I wonder, though, if
it is only the Taiwan caps, why are Sony TV's affected? maybe those are
made in foreign locations or with foreign (to Japan) components

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror ----- Cable modem IP
over 115,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"Cyber Chum" wrote in message
On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 08:45:54 -0400, "TomG"
wrote:

the bad caps are affecting everything from TV's and VCR's to power

supplies
and motherboards. I even heard about them in microwaves!

Only the capacitors made in Taiwan though and not ones from Japan.
Look up the story as to why there are bad capacitors on the market.
Some dickhead was up to no good and got burned by it.

ho alexandre September 8th 03 07:50 PM

chainbreaker wrote:
http://mypostingip/mainboard.html))

Dead link.

haha, some Dilbert humour :)

--
XandreX
/I'm that kind of people your parents warned you about/

J.Clarke September 8th 03 11:40 PM

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 10:45:58 -0700
Cyber Chum wrote:

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 11:25:19 -0400, "Mangyrat"
wrote:

and the year befor that it was abit be6 2 ver 2.0 boards with bad
caps. well caps can be replaced. a guy in abit new's groups will
replace them for around $50 i think his name was homie or somthing
like that. cant hurt to hunt him down and ask if he will do a video
card. he was chargeing around$50 to do a motherboard so a videocard
shuld be cheaper.

Why should people have to pay for faulty capacitors? There should be a
class action lawsuit over this and anyone that has an electronics item
fail due to a faulty capacitor from Taiwan should immediately get a
refund or exchange, out of warranty or not.

Why don't you start one. Now, in what court are you going to sue and
who are you going to sue?

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Khayman September 9th 03 07:32 AM

Mangyrat wrote:
and the year befor that it was abit be6 2 ver 2.0 boards with bad
caps. well caps can be replaced. a guy in abit new's groups will
replace them for around $50 i think his name was homie or somthing
like that. cant hurt to hunt him down and ask if he will do a video
card. he was chargeing around $50 to do a motherboard so a videocard
shuld be cheaper.

Yeah, I know about him (and others like him), however I'm in Sweden - to
ship the card, let him fix it and ship it back would be more than a new
card.. :-(
And, there is some other component next to the capacitator which seems a
little bit "scorched" - and that one has *alot* of little solderings under
it...

Khay.