HardwareBanter

-   AMD x86-64 Processors (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Installing fresh copy of Windows XP (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=8757)

Sseaott June 20th 04 10:26 PM

Installing fresh copy of Windows XP

I'm buying a new notebook in the next few days and I had a quick question.
I know how to do a clean install of the OS but once that is done, I need to
install the drivers for the hardware in the notebook. I have heard there is
a specific order in which they should be installed in, and that the very
first thing that should be installed are the chipset drivers??? Is this
correct? My notebook will have a AMD Athlon 64 3400 processor in it, do
AMD's have chipsets that need to be installed or is that only for Intel?

If anyone can give me the exact order I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Jason Cothran June 20th 04 11:20 PM

"Sseaott" wrote in message
| I'm buying a new notebook in the next few days and I had a quick question.
| I know how to do a clean install of the OS but once that is done, I need
| install the drivers for the hardware in the notebook. I have heard there
is
| a specific order in which they should be installed in, and that the very
| first thing that should be installed are the chipset drivers??? Is this
| correct? My notebook will have a AMD Athlon 64 3400 processor in it, do
| AMD's have chipsets that need to be installed or is that only for Intel?
|
| If anyone can give me the exact order I would appreciate it.

The way I tend to do it is chipset, processor, video, sound, and then
everything else in no particular order. There is a driver for the Athlon 64
on AMD's site.

NoneOfBusiness June 22nd 04 12:39 AM

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 17:39:04 -0500, Ed wrote:

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 17:26:05 -0400, "Sseaott" wrote:

I'm buying a new notebook in the next few days and I had a quick question.
I know how to do a clean install of the OS but once that is done, I need to
install the drivers for the hardware in the notebook. I have heard there is
a specific order in which they should be installed in, and that the very
first thing that should be installed are the chipset drivers??? Is this
correct? My notebook will have a AMD Athlon 64 3400 processor in it, do
AMD's have chipsets that need to be installed or is that only for Intel?

If anyone can give me the exact order I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

After successfully loading the operating system, you are ready to
install all of the appropriate motherboard chipset drivers that came
with the motherboard. Remember that these drivers are constantly being
reviewed and updated by the manufacturers, so check on the motherboard
manufacturer's web site for new versions and updates. Always download
applicable readme files along with driver updates. These files contain
critical information needed to properly install the updated drivers.

After all motherboard drivers are installed, install the video card
drivers. Follow the video card manufacturer's instructions.

Begin installing other peripherals and components, one at a time. Read
all instructions and readme files before installing any component or
accessory. A minute now could easily save an hour later.

A standard practice i use for ALL installs is as follows: (Note: This
assumes a windows installation)
1. install the O/S
2. install network drivers
3. PATCH,PATCH,PATCH,PATCH
4. Install chipset, video,sound (not necessarily in this order) with
latest drivers from manufacturer
5. Patch some more if necessary
6. Load rest of software
7. Patch again

I tend to have the least amount of problems this way. This methodology
came from doing years of windows installations.

Good luck!