HardwareBanter

-   Cdr (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Nero hangs on "checking discs" (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=27829)

smh September 5th 04 01:55 AM

Nero hangs on "checking discs"

.. -------------------------------------------
how HUGE are your BALLS, Adrian Miller?
Only a trashy company like Roxio or Adaptec
let loosed in Usenet this utter trash
Deirdre Straughan (Roxio) is a LIAR
-----------------------------------
Mike Richter is a LIAR
----------------------

John DeGroof wrote:

Nero 6.3.0.0, updated to 6.3.1.20
Pioneer A07XL, updated to newest firmware 118
secondary IDE, single master, UDMA2

What Windows?

Above combo has been working fine the past couple months.

Roll back to the Nero version that worked?

Now,
DVD-R's won't burn, with Nero hanging in the first stage "checking
discs". Burns CD and DVD-RW fine. Drive reads DVD-R's fine.

Uninstalled/reinstalled Nero, manually cleaning the registry
inbetween.

Use Nero Clean Tool:
http://www.nero.com/us/ns4_631940828445001.html

Updated to the latest version of Nero. Updated the drive
firmware.

Only changes to the system I recall are installing DVD Shrink (which I
have uninstalled now), and re-arranging internal drives (drive letters
have changed as well).

Any idea what Nero's doing during the "checking discs" stage,

Maybe the drive change confused Nero, that is, the disc is not in the
drive Nero expected it to be? Did you do uninstall/reinstall Nero after
the drive change? If so, then this argument doesn't apply.

and why it's hanging?

Maybe Nero is waiting for a response from a drive, but not getting it.

Is it the drive or the software? I'm discounting a
problem with the media as I'm in the middle of my second spindle of
100 and haven't had any problems yet.

Try use the Nero Clean Tool in between uninstall/reinstall and see if
that makes any difference.

smh September 5th 04 04:00 AM

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

( No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a LIBEL )
( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )
'

John DeGroof wrote:
smh wrote:

I'm still troubleshooting, but moving the DVD-R back to the controller
it was originally connected to made it work again. Everything in the
system is a primary master, so moving devices is easy enough. Strange
that CD and DVD-RW worked fine, and only DVD-R was affected!

Just missed your post about "controller". That's a well-known issue.
Think Ahead has a blurb about the issue somewhere, but IIRC, it didn't
go into any technical reasons - just that there will be problems.