HardwareBanter

-   Ati Videocards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Still studdering with system tray activity (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=40346)

DrWho June 26th 03 03:39 AM

Still studdering with system tray activity

I am running the Cat3.4 on a 9700 non-pro. Haven't done the 3.5 upgrade
yet.

I know ATI claimed to have fixed all the studdering issues they had, but
it is my claim that they have not. Any blinking in the system tray
causes still causes studdering in games (eg., if I receive an instant
message during game play).

Anyone else have this problem? Any change that it is fixed in 3.5?

--
My email address is BillG at Royal dot Org

Lithurge June 26th 03 05:50 PM

(DrWho) wrote in
:

I am running the Cat3.4 on a 9700 non-pro. Haven't done the
3.5 upgrade yet.

I know ATI claimed to have fixed all the studdering issues
they had, but it is my claim that they have not. Any
blinking in the system tray causes still causes studdering
in games (eg., if I receive an instant message during game
play).

Anyone else have this problem? Any change that it is fixed
in 3.5?

How can you claim they have not as you haven't tested them?
You can guess they have't but that isn't the same thing.

As for shimmering I've had no such problems with any of 3
different driver version I've used, including 3.4 & 3.5.
Which suggests it's something else causing the problems.

Of course that's with Winxp, you may have a differnet O/S.

Roger Squires June 26th 03 07:21 PM

I strongly suggest stuttering is due to background programs you have
running, IM progs included.

rms

Dave June 26th 03 08:03 PM

"DrWho" wrote in message

I am running the Cat3.4 on a 9700 non-pro. Haven't done the 3.5 upgrade
yet.

I know ATI claimed to have fixed all the studdering issues they had, but
it is my claim that they have not. Any blinking in the system tray
causes still causes studdering in games (eg., if I receive an instant
message during game play).

I hate to point out the obvious, but why don't you just shut down all that
buggy IM crap while playing games? How tough is that? A mile-long systray is
a perfect recipe for lack of system performance. Especially if RealAnything
is running tin the background. They're too busy mining all your personal
info to care about your reduced system performance...

Anyone else have this problem? Any change that it is fixed in 3.5?

I don't have these problems at all...

Dave June 28th 03 12:04 AM

"DrWho" wrote in message
Dave said...
I hate to point out the obvious, but why don't you just shut down all

that
buggy IM crap while playing games? How tough is that? A mile-long

systray is
a perfect recipe for lack of system performance. Especially if

RealAnything
is running tin the background. They're too busy mining all your personal
info to care about your reduced system performance...

Of course. If I kill every other app during games, that solves the
studdering problem. But why should I have to?

I dunno, because it will release memory and other system resources to then
be available to run the game at full speed? A lean OS is a mean OS. I
recommend not having all that junk load on startup, then use it as needed,
then close the app when you don't need it. Hey, why should you have to?
Bottom line: because things sometimes don't work properly if you don't.

My GeForce4 card did not
have this problem. Same machine, same OS.

So switch back if it bothers you all that much to have to kill a few apps...

The studdering occurs ONLY when a one of the icons in the system tray
becomes animated. Just having the programs running does NOT cause the
studdering - ONLY animation of one of the icons does it. This is
obviously a driver problem. ATI has even admitted to the "studdering"
problem in their forums.

Yep, it's a known driver bug alright. Doesn't bother me any because I have
no use for IM proggies. You could submit a report to the Catalyst Crew and
see if any solutions are forthcoming.

I have not tried the 3.5 Cats yet. But ATI claimed to have fixed this
issue with the 3.4 cats.

You could try 3.5 and see, perhaps? At any rate, you should fully uninstall
the previous drivers before changing them, making sure your display adaptor
is listed as "standard VGA" etc. (or roll the video drivers back to day one
first boot), then installing the new ones. Least one can do, really...