HardwareBanter

-   -   Best card for..... (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=56460)

George Mooth January 30th 05 06:38 PM

Best card for.....

I have a system that's running XP Pro SP2, 512 Mem, Athlon
XP1900+. Right now I have a TNT2 64 video card and it's
great for most things I do. I'd like to start doing more online
movie watching. What would be a good upgrade for my TNT2?

Maybe one of you has what I need sitting around gathering
dust. G If so let me know.

Thank you,

Veritech January 30th 05 07:45 PM

I had a geforce 2mx 440 for about 6 months before it failed, worked nicely
for me, not too expensive. But i would recommend a Geforce FX5200 really
cheap and great with older games.

YanquiDawg January 30th 05 08:33 PM

No!The 5200 is slow as ****.

MJP January 30th 05 10:18 PM

"George Mooth" wrote in message

I have a system that's running XP Pro SP2, 512 Mem, Athlon
XP1900+. Right now I have a TNT2 64 video card and it's
great for most things I do. I'd like to start doing more online
movie watching. What would be a good upgrade for my TNT2?

Maybe one of you has what I need sitting around gathering
dust. G If so let me know.

Thank you,

Depends on your budget but something like a secondhand geforce 4200, 4600
are much better value than something like an FX5200 for roughly the same
price.

farmuse January 31st 05 12:44 AM

no runs fine all the way up to Call of Duty with high res and high
detail, for the money they run fine. My other card is an X800 pro so I
know what good looks like ha ha

No!The 5200 is slow as ****.

Mac Cool January 31st 05 05:05 AM

George Mooth:

I'd like to start doing more online
movie watching. What would be a good upgrade for my TNT2?

Just for watching movies...
Radeon 7000 or 9200SE
Geforce MX4xxx or 5200

--
Mac Cool

Lachoneus January 31st 05 02:17 PM

Just for watching movies...
Radeon 7000 or 9200SE
Geforce MX4xxx or 5200

Yep, like he said.........for movies........great cards

Avoid the MX4000; many of them have crippled 32-bit (!) memory busses,
which wouldn't be much faster than your existing TNT2 M64. You don't
need a powerful GPU to play movies, but (relatively) fast video memory
couldn't hurt, especially if you run at higher screen resolutions.