HardwareBanter

-   -   6600GT 128MB vs 6800GT 256 MB?? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=55878)

...D. November 30th 04 03:07 PM

6600GT 128MB vs 6800GT 256 MB??

In the market for the 1st time for video card. #1 reason would be gaming.
I have an AGP slot. But I notice addtional function for a 6800GT vs a
6600GT.

I am wondering, are the 6600GT engine & the 6800GT engine comparable or
the same?

I can see spending $150 more for getting additional functions. I was just
looking online At PNY nVidia 6800GT 256 MB AGP for $363. Seeing as I am
looking at a $249 bill to buy a 6600GT 128 MB AGP, heck, it might be worth
it. What do you guys think here? The extra 128 MBs for the 6800GT - make
a difference?

http://www.adamant.com/itemInfo.asp?...cts&menu=PARTS

I also read somewhere that the 6600GT PCI Express vs the AGP - that the
AGP has several "channels" (whatever they are called) disabled vs the PCI
Exptress model? What's that all about? Make any difference with todays
games? I know I have to buy a AGP, but I now I am wondering if I was to
go for only a $200 card, should I go Radeon 9800 Pro or 6600GT. (128 MB
models).
...D.

Rob November 30th 04 03:41 PM

"...D." wrote in message
[...]

You're paying for performance. The 6800GT is significantly faster
than a 6600GT. The base model 6800 is as well (so you may
want to consider that since it's around the same price point
as a 6600GT). The 6600GT is significantly quicker than
the 9800Pro. If you want to compare apples to apples,
you should be looking at the X600 and X800 series of
Radeons. The 9x00 series of cards is ATI's previous generation
of video cards.

Dan November 30th 04 09:02 PM

Can you give me a link which shows the plain 6800 significantly faster than
the 6600GT?

Dan

"Rob" wrote in message news:hE%qd.617$Xd.408@trndny02...

"...D." wrote in message
In the market for the 1st time for video card. #1 reason would be

gaming.
I have an AGP slot. But I notice addtional function for a 6800GT vs a
6600GT.

I am wondering, are the 6600GT engine & the 6800GT engine comparable or
the same?

I can see spending $150 more for getting additional functions. I was

just
looking online At PNY nVidia 6800GT 256 MB AGP for $363. Seeing as I am
looking at a $249 bill to buy a 6600GT 128 MB AGP, heck, it might be

worth
it. What do you guys think here? The extra 128 MBs for the 6800GT -

make
a difference?

http://www.adamant.com/itemInfo.asp?...CG6800GAP&PrdA
br=VCPN-VCG6800GAP&DB=Products&menu=PARTS