HardwareBanter

-   Storage (alternative) (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   "PC Makers: We Need to Talk About the Boot Drive" (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=199403)

Lynn McGuire[_3_] February 5th 19 01:37 AM

"PC Makers: We Need to Talk About the Boot Drive"

"PC Makers: We Need to Talk About the Boot Drive"
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/bo...ons,38555.html

"Boot drives rarely get the attention they deserve. The type and
capacity of your C: drive significantly affects how fast your system
boots, how quickly your programs load, and how long you have to spend
tapping your toe before you can actually get your game on."

Lynn

[email protected] February 10th 19 03:52 AM

On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 9:37:02 AM UTC+8, Lynn McGuire wrote:
"PC Makers: We Need to Talk About the Boot Drive"
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/bo...ons,38555.html

Ah, that article seems to suggest you need a big SSD, even with secondary hard
drive. Maybe for Windoze? I have built a dozen or so linux workstations with
a piddling 120 GB SATA SSD for root and swap and 4 or 5 GB hard drive for home.

Lynn McGuire[_3_] February 11th 19 07:23 PM

On 2/9/2019 9:52 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 9:37:02 AM UTC+8, Lynn McGuire wrote:
"PC Makers: We Need to Talk About the Boot Drive"
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/bo...ons,38555.html

Ah, that article seems to suggest you need a big SSD, even with secondary hard
drive. Maybe for Windoze? I have built a dozen or so linux workstations with
a piddling 120 GB SATA SSD for root and swap and 4 or 5 GB hard drive for home.

The smallest SSD boot drive that I would put in a Windows box is a 512
GB for $68.
https://www.amazon.com/Blue-NAND-500...dp/B073SBZ8YH/

Lynn