HardwareBanter

-   Gigabyte Motherboards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   GA-7VAXP and Windows 98 SE (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=36821)

Ted Kulinski July 30th 03 01:04 AM

GA-7VAXP and Windows 98 SE

I tried this board with an image of my old W98 SE system, and with a
fresh install of W98SE, and had all kinds of problems with stability.

Also, the sound would not work. (It worked fine on a Windows XP
partition, so I'm sure the hardware was OK).

I was just wondering if many people run this board with W98SE and have
stable system?

If anyone does, is there any trick or hints one should know about?

JKBK July 30th 03 05:20 AM

I`m running 98SE and had a little trouble with sound in that it was
breaking up in 90% of my games. It was almost as if it was lagging. Tried
new drivers, settings,etc but it solved itself one day after I was playing
with the FSB setting in EasyTune. No problem since.
As for stability I`ve recently had a problem wiith my vid card and my
256Mb of PC 2700 blowing at the same time. I think personally the key to
this board is a good PS.....NO clones and at least 350W but thats my
opinion. Good luck on yours. Jeff

Ray Untalasco August 1st 03 10:41 AM

I had the same problem before. But not just win 98se but also win xp pro.
It never occured to me that my CPU voltage was way below spec. I upped the
CPU voltage and have no problem since. But since you say it works in win
XP then it is definitely not the power.

Amir Facade August 2nd 03 12:11 AM

Ted, How much RAM do you have installed on your board? Win 98 seems to have
a problem with more than 512 megs.

I have a GA-7VAX with XP and 98SE in a dual boot. I had to take out one of
my 512 sticks to get 98 set up , but it works ok now with 1024megs.

: