HardwareBanter

-   Homebuilt PC's (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Upgrade cpu or videocard? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=21302)

Monster September 23rd 04 01:59 AM

Upgrade cpu or videocard?

I have an amd 2000xp with a ti4200 and it is upgrade time, however I can
only upgrade one of these for now. I know the best upgrade for me would be a
9600 but this card is incompatible with one of my favorite games so no
radeon for me. I'm stuck in the 200-300$ canadian range and my only options
for an nvidia card seems to be a 5700-5900XT. Another option would be to
just keep the old ti-4200 as I still play a lot of dx8 games and upgrade the
cpu to an amd3000+. I really want to know which upgrade (cpu or videocard)
would give me the better speed for now

Cuzman September 23rd 04 02:43 AM

"Monster" wrote in message
.cable.rogers.com...

" I really want to know which upgrade (cpu or videocard) would give me the
better speed for now. "

What is the rest of your system? Motherboard? RAM? If you sold your XP
2000+ and Ti4200 on eBay, then maybe you could afford an upgrade of both CPU
and GPU.

Monster September 23rd 04 03:05 AM

I have no intention of selling the rest of my system. It's 1gig of ram, 5
hds, 2 cds (dvd & burner) asus a7n8x. I know I'm going to get a performance
boost if I upgrade either component, I'm just looking for comments on which
one might give me the biggest boost.

"Cuzman" wrote in message
.cable.rogers.com...

Cuzman September 23rd 04 10:06 AM

"Monster" wrote in message
.cable.rogers.com...

" I have no intention of selling the rest of my system. "

I never said for you to sell the rest of your system. I only suggested
selling the CPU and Ti4200, which you wouldn't be using if you upgraded them
both. This might give you the extra money to upgrade both. What speed RAM
do you have?

AndrewJ September 23rd 04 11:33 AM

" I have no intention of selling the rest of my system. "

I never said for you to sell the rest of your system. I only suggested
selling the CPU and Ti4200, which you wouldn't be using if you upgraded them
both. This might give you the extra money to upgrade both. What speed RAM
do you have?

Get the mobile Barton 35w 2400+. It runs on that board at 3400+ out of
the box. I'm doing on two A7N8X 2.0 DLX boards. Then get the best
video card you can afford from a seller on ebay with very good
feedback.

When your PC gives a little they give a lot.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/disco