HardwareBanter

-   -   5700 ultra vs. geforce3 ti200 (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=52561)

Eric December 31st 03 02:52 PM

5700 ultra vs. geforce3 ti200

Is it worth it to upgrade from a geforce3 ti200, to the Nvidia Geforce FX
5700 Ultra?

Will I see much of a difference in games like Q3? I also want to be
prepared for doom3.

I have a P4 2.6 ghz processor, with 1 gb of DDR 400 mhz ram. Running at
800 FSB on the Asus p4p800 motherboard.

Presently I get about 208 fps on the time demo of demo four on Quake 3
(version 1.32) -- at high quality settings (1024 x 768).

Will a 5700 Ultra be worth the upgrade, or should I wait until the next
generation is released.

Would some ATI card be better?

Dark Avenger December 31st 03 06:05 PM

"Eric" wrote in message ...
Is it worth it to upgrade from a geforce3 ti200, to the Nvidia Geforce FX
5700 Ultra?

Will I see much of a difference in games like Q3? I also want to be
prepared for doom3.

I have a P4 2.6 ghz processor, with 1 gb of DDR 400 mhz ram. Running at
800 FSB on the Asus p4p800 motherboard.

Presently I get about 208 fps on the time demo of demo four on Quake 3
(version 1.32) -- at high quality settings (1024 x 768).

Will a 5700 Ultra be worth the upgrade, or should I wait until the next
generation is released.

Would some ATI card be better?

Mmm, maybe the 5900 XT or the Non Pro is better... though I have more
idea into the Non Pro.

Ati cards, well possible... but for that you has to ask in the ati
newsgroup.

You got a nice set up, I guess the FX5700 Ultra will be nice,

How Doom 3 runs.... untill doom 3 actually is out on the shells nobody
knows!

Eric December 31st 03 06:35 PM

Well I'm hoping to spend no more than roughly $200 (U.S.) or so on a video
card.
So I thought my options (for best performance) would pretty much be the 5700
Ultra (or the Radeon 9600 XT).

Am I wrong?

"Dark Avenger" wrote in message
om...

Welder63 December 31st 03 07:59 PM

Eric,
i`ve just took delivery of the MSI FX5700 Ultra today, and i`ve just
replaced my GeForce 3 TI500,
I can tell you the 5700 Ultra, rocks, I`m playing KOTOR, and i`ve upped
the details, and they look ace,
little things like lighting effects and stuff look much better, also
NeverWinter Nights look better too, the spell effects and stuff.
I think the 128 memory makes a difference too. The card installed easy and
so did the software.
Been checking out a few games that i play, like Morrowing, NHL, and
Prince of Persia is real ye candy :)
everything looks smoother, and ingame video clips look better too for some
reaso, especially in KOTOR.

good luck.
Sparky.
England.

vegie December 31st 03 08:55 PM

I have a similar setup and am about to upgrade from a FX5600U to a FX5900XT
based on some of the latest reviews on the net. I would probably have bought
the 5700U when it came out had I not jumped on the 5600U a few months
earlier. Need to compare the latest prices on all. The Nvidia "Call of Duty"
bundle on the 5900 is what "did" me in!

RV

Dark Avenger January 1st 04 08:01 PM

"Eric" wrote in message

[...]

Good choice, both the FX5700 Ultra and the 9600XT are damn potent,
some alpha leaks of HL2 even hint that it probably plays very nice on
those cards!

Darthy January 2nd 04 01:09 PM

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 09:52:28 -0500, "Eric" wrote:

Is it worth it to upgrade from a geforce3 ti200, to the Nvidia Geforce FX
5700 Ultra?

Yes kinda... but the 5900xt would be better

Will I see much of a difference in games like Q3? I also want to be
prepared for doom3.

I have a P4 2.6 ghz processor, with 1 gb of DDR 400 mhz ram. Running at
800 FSB on the Asus p4p800 motherboard.

Presently I get about 208 fps on the time demo of demo four on Quake 3
(version 1.32) -- at high quality settings (1024 x 768).

Will a 5700 Ultra be worth the upgrade, or should I wait until the next
generation is released.

As you posted about $200 limt... the the 5900XT is about the same
price $185~220. and smokes it... look he

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic...ournament_2003

About a big noticable18fps!

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Dark Avenger January 3rd 04 09:37 PM

"Darthy" wrote in message
[...]

Ati : XT = FAST
Nvidia: XT ( SE ) = Slow, mostly with cripled memory bandwidth

So from slow to fast

5900SE (xt )
5900
5900 Ultra
5950 Ultra

Darthy January 4th 04 11:18 AM

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 14:59:34 -0500, "Eric" wrote:

I'm confused with all the nvidia names: 5900 ultra; 5900 xt ; 5950

What is the diff between 5900 ultra and 5900xt?

About $150 and 15fps faster. XT is slower... a great card to get for
$185~200!!

Shows what crap the 5600 and 5700s are that ARE STILL selling for
$175~200!!!