HardwareBanter

-   General (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Notebook memory question (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=7436)

oldgrey December 27th 04 11:35 PM

Notebook memory question

I am about to purchase a Toshiba Satellite A60-S1591 Cel D 335 2.8 Ghz
computer. The pc comes with 256mb of memory KTT3311/256. I would
like to increase the memory to 512mb. Toshiba sells another 256
module for around $70 or one could add some other manufacturers
memory. Other possibilities a
Kingston KVR333X64SC25/256 200 pin 256mb SODIMM PC-2700 $49
Corsair Value select 200 pin 256mb DDR SO-DIMM PC-2700 $38

Will these give equivalent performance in this computer model? Any
help in site appreciated.

TIA

General Schvantzkoph December 28th 04 12:15 AM

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 14:35:18 -0800, oldgrey wrote:

I am about to purchase a Toshiba Satellite A60-S1591 Cel D 335 2.8 Ghz
computer. The pc comes with 256mb of memory KTT3311/256. I would
like to increase the memory to 512mb. Toshiba sells another 256
module for around $70 or one could add some other manufacturers
memory. Other possibilities a
Kingston KVR333X64SC25/256 200 pin 256mb SODIMM PC-2700 $49
Corsair Value select 200 pin 256mb DDR SO-DIMM PC-2700 $38

Will these give equivalent performance in this computer model? Any
help in site appreciated.

TIA

Both Corsair and Kingston are first rate. I always use Corsair but there
is nothing wrong with Kingston. Do you know if that machine operates the
RAM in pairs? If it does then you want two DIMMs with identical timings,
if it doesn't then you don't have to worry about that and you can put in
any compatible DIMM.

Jerry G. December 28th 04 02:15 AM

My preference would be to stick with the origional manufacture's parts, and
have totaly their warranty, and gaurantee of performance. If you are
spending all these dollars on an expensive laptop, there is no point to
skimp for a few dollars on the cost of some extra RAM's!

--

Jerry G.
=====

Mike Walsh December 28th 04 07:41 PM

OEM memory is notoriously expensive. You can get the same performance for a lot less money by buying e.g. Kingston memory on sale at your local big box electronics store.

"oldgrey" wrote in message
I am about to purchase a Toshiba Satellite A60-S1591 Cel D 335 2.8 Ghz
computer. The pc comes with 256mb of memory KTT3311/256. I would
like to increase the memory to 512mb. Toshiba sells another 256
module for around $70 or one could add some other manufacturers
memory. Other possibilities a
Kingston KVR333X64SC25/256 200 pin 256mb SODIMM PC-2700 $49
Corsair Value select 200 pin 256mb DDR SO-DIMM PC-2700 $38

Will these give equivalent performance in this computer model? Any
help in site appreciated.

TIA

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

John Smithe December 29th 04 06:39 AM

Mike Walsh wrote in
:

OEM memory is notoriously expensive. You can get the same performance
for a lot less money by buying e.g. Kingston memory on sale at your
local big box electronics store.

I'll second this and add:

Try the different manufacturers websites. They frequently have a
configuration tool to help you find the correct memory sticks based on
your motherboard model number or your system model number. Here's a few
links:

http://www.samsung.com/Products/Semiconductor/DRAM/
http://www.ocztechnology.com/
http://www.mushkin.com/epages/mushkin.storefront
http://www.legacyelectronics.com/
http://www.kingston.com/
http://www.gskill.com.tw/
http://www.geilusa.com/
http://www.crucial.com/
http://www.corsairmicro.com/

If you need information on your motherboard/system/memory try CPU-Z or
SiSoftware Sandra from he

http://www.cpuid.com/
http://www.sisoftware.net/