HardwareBanter

-   Gigabyte Motherboards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   SATA drive causes blue screen of death (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=38213)

Dodgr Rereksin May 27th 04 07:13 AM

SATA drive causes blue screen of death

My boot/system drive is SCSI and my multimedia drive is SATA. Most but not
all the time when I start the system with the SATA setup in Auto mode, I get
the blue screen of death immediately when my username and password are being
checked. When I don't get the BSOD, personal settings load next, and the
windows startup continues okay. My motherboard is GA-8KNXP Ultra. This is
somewhat puzzling as I haven't found any workarounds. When I boot with an
IDE drive with SATA setup in Auto mode, Windows startup goes normally
witihout BSODs. Anybody know why BSODs might be occurring with the SCSI
boot drive. The SCSI drive uses Windows 2000 and the IDE drive uses Windows
XP.

Dimitris May 27th 04 10:49 AM

"Dodgr Rereksin" wrote in message news:IGftc.47104$bS1.37407@okepread02...
My boot/system drive is SCSI and my multimedia drive is SATA. Most but not
all the time when I start the system with the SATA setup in Auto mode, I get
the blue screen of death immediately when my username and password are being
checked. When I don't get the BSOD, personal settings load next, and the
windows startup continues okay. My motherboard is GA-8KNXP Ultra. This is
somewhat puzzling as I haven't found any workarounds. When I boot with an
IDE drive with SATA setup in Auto mode, Windows startup goes normally
witihout BSODs. Anybody know why BSODs might be occurring with the SCSI
boot drive. The SCSI drive uses Windows 2000 and the IDE drive uses Windows
XP.

Apparently it is a Windows2000 issue. If you have installed any sata
utilities(like the SataRaid or Javasataraid utility) that load at
startup this might be to blame. But i think its windows2000. Try to
find drivers for your sata controller that work stable under
windows2000. If you are sure the drivers work ok(like in another
friend same motherboard pc with win2000) then try to remove pci cards,
usb devices, e.t.c if you want to find the conflict..I know this is a
painfull process,,maybe you want to get some other advices before you
proceed to that .
Similar situation happens to me but between WindowsMe and WinXP. WinXP
works perfect, WindowsME doesnt even start but crashes with a
bluescreen of Hardware Protection error. Only solution was to get into
winME safemode, disable the sata controller via the control
panel/system devices/scsi controllers/satalink controller (or sataraid
controller). Now it boots but of course cant see the drive at all.

Dodgr Rereksin May 28th 04 06:34 AM

After more experimenting with the problem, I'm led to the conclusion that is
is not SATA problem but something more like a Windows 2000 / SCSI problem.
The BSOD has been occuring when SATA is disabled. Before just recently, it
did seem like a SATA problem by the number of times it occurred when SATA
was enabled and disabled.

In more experimenting, I've been holding shift/control down when the Windows
2000 boot process goes into the username/password, which is apparently
preventing BSOD crashes.

Dodgr Rereksin May 29th 04 06:04 PM

My fix for this problem was to change the adaptec boot options, so both
Single Image Master and peripheral to boot both were using the same single A
channel. Previously one of the selections was B which apparently caused
inconsistent boots.