HardwareBanter

-   -   5700 ultra to 5900?? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=54852)

neopolaris August 12th 04 10:00 PM

Jon wrote:
Can anybody offer any sound advice on any merits of upgrading from
Creative Blaster5 5700 ulltra to a GeforceFX 5900(not xt version).
Am i going to get any noticeable differences in visuals in games and
benchmarks scores?

System
Athlon2400 XP
1.25GB DDR400 PC3200 Ram
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
Windows XP
DVD RW and CDRW
40GB HD

TIA

Not a great upgrade although the 5900s overclock very well. A 6800 series
would be a better upgrade if it weren't for the cost.

deimos August 12th 04 10:11 PM

Jon wrote:

Can anybody offer any sound advice on any merits of upgrading from Creative
Blaster5 5700 ulltra to a GeforceFX 5900(not xt version).
Am i going to get any noticeable differences in visuals in games and
benchmarks scores?

System
Athlon2400 XP
1.25GB DDR400 PC3200 Ram
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
Windows XP
DVD RW and CDRW
40GB HD

TIA

While there is a benchmarkable difference between the two, it's not a
bad upgrade, but you can do better. A better upgrade would be a 5950U.
Also, the feature set of the two cards is the same AFAIK. So no image
quality differences (outside of different manufacturers' implementations
of the reference board 2d filters).

I would first upgrade your CPU to a 3200 Barton (better core and larger
cache). You're just fine with RAM, so no problem there. Then think
about maybe a 5950 or 6800.

Eric August 13th 04 06:49 PM

Wait for the 6600 GT ($199.00) -- coming out in September. That is the
best mid-market bet. I only wish it had been out before Doom3. By the time
it comes out (in AGP version), I'll be done Doom3.

Instead, I bought the 5900XT to get me by on Doom3 for now.