HardwareBanter

-   -   Nvidia 5900XT to 7800GS APG (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=124434)

DaveH-UK April 7th 06 01:39 AM

Nvidia 5900XT to 7800GS APG

Hi...
Sorry if this is a vid card newbie question...
I am in the process of upgrading my graphics card to a 7800GS AGP. Do I
have to remove the old video card drivers first... or just overwrite
with the new drivers?

Also my monitor is an older 17" Ilarma CRT with a 15 pin 'D' plug, I
notice that these new vid cards don't have a 15 pin 'D' socket... but
two square(ish) looking jobbies that I think are called DVI...? I have
a single adaptor from DVI to 15 pin... but which of the two DVI sockets
do I use? Will I loose half the graphics output by only using the one
DVI socket? Again, apologies if I am being blonde here... but I have
not messed with these newer cards before.

Dave

peter April 7th 06 03:30 AM

Nvidia 5900XT to 7800GS APG

It helps to uninstall the older drivers first........then under device
manager uninstall the old video card.
Shut system down and remove old card...........install new card and reboot.
Install the new drivers

It really does not matter which DVI plug you use the card will sense the
connection and no you will not lose 1/2 the picture...........
The 2 DVI connections are designed to be able to use 2 monitors

peter

Zain April 7th 06 05:27 AM

Nvidia 5900XT to 7800GS APG

If you have the latest forceware drivers, I'm not too sure if it'd
matter.

-
Zain

DaveH-UK April 7th 06 11:24 AM

Nvidia 5900XT to 7800GS APG

peter wrote:
It helps to uninstall the older drivers first........then under device
manager uninstall the old video card.
Shut system down and remove old card...........install new card and reboot.
Install the new drivers

It really does not matter which DVI plug you use the card will sense the
connection and no you will not lose 1/2 the picture...........
The 2 DVI connections are designed to be able to use 2 monitors

peter

Thanks for the advice Peter, I had a rough idea what to do... but as
they say... "When in dought, check!" :)

My next upgrade will probably be a new flat/wide screen monitor to
compliment the new graphics card...

Hey, any ideas what to do about this bank manager I have kicking and
screaming my cupboard?

Thanks again.... Dave