HardwareBanter

-   -   eVGA 7900GT manufacturer-overclocked to 550/1580 at Newegg @359 !! (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=122000)

John Lewis March 9th 06 07:26 PM

eVGA 7900GT manufacturer-overclocked to 550/1580 at Newegg @359 !!

See:-

Supports up to 2560x1600 on both DVI ports ( Dual dual-link ! )

Lifetime warranty !!

Still available as of 10:15 Pacific Time.

Same architecture as 7800GTX/256. Performance at BASE clock speed
(450/1320) identical to base 7800GTX. Power ~ 75%.

Run quick. They are already back-ordered on eVGA's own web-site.
Not that you would ever order one there anyway, price-wise.

John Lewis

Ed Forsythe March 9th 06 10:45 PM

eVGA 7900GT manufacturer-overclocked to 550/1580 at Newegg @359 !!

Sigh :( Looks like an excellent deal especially 2-DVIs and HDTV/S-Video
out. Too bad it's not AGP. Thanks for the poop.

John Lewis March 10th 06 02:59 AM

eVGA 7900GT manufacturer-overclocked to 550/1580 at Newegg @359 !!

On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 16:45:11 -0500, "Ed Forsythe"
wrote:

Sigh :( Looks like an excellent deal especially 2-DVIs and HDTV/S-Video
out. Too bad it's not AGP. Thanks for the poop.

Now out of stock @ Newegg. Not surprising....

Seems as if the 7900 series will be excellent "value" for the
computer-games enthusiast. We have probably seen the highest prices
with this first shipment. Except for the gougers on Ebay and shady
vendors in the current shortage, the prices should trend downwards
over the next few months. Going to be difficult for ATi's partners to
match unless ATi hurts their own margins by giving them a price-break
on their much larger GPU silicon.

John Lewis

McGrandpa March 10th 06 03:04 AM

"John Lewis" wrote in message
See:-

Supports up to 2560x1600 on both DVI ports ( Dual dual-link ! )

Lifetime warranty !!

Still available as of 10:15 Pacific Time.

Same architecture as 7800GTX/256. Performance at BASE clock speed
(450/1320) identical to base 7800GTX. Power ~ 75%.

Run quick. They are already back-ordered on eVGA's own web-site.
Not that you would ever order one there anyway, price-wise.

John Lewis

$299 is the cheapest of the GT's they have. $499 is the cheapest GTX they
have :) Yummie!
McG.

MarkJ March 10th 06 07:28 AM

eVGA 7900GT manufacturer-overclocked to 550/1580 at Newegg @359 !!

Wake me up when there's an AGP version

John Lewis March 10th 06 09:51 AM

eVGA 7900GT manufacturer-overclocked to 550/1580 at Newegg @359 !!

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 06:28:50 GMT, "MarkJ"
wrote:

Wake me up when there's an AGP version

I doubt if it will ever exist for the 7900. For the 7600, AGP versions
may well become available. The number of gaming 'enthusiasts" who
would shell out the money for a 7900 and are still on AGP are rapidly
dwindling. Anyway, you need one of the latest processors to keep a
7900GT fed, and all of those processors (AMD 939-pin, Intel 775LGA)
have now got inexpensive PCIe motherboards ( $100) available.
So if you have a latest-family processor on a AGP motherboard,
just dump the motherboard. Don't let the tail wag the dog.

John Lewis

NightSky 421 March 10th 06 02:43 PM

"John Lewis" wrote in message
Seems as if the 7900 series will be excellent "value" for the
computer-games enthusiast. We have probably seen the highest prices
with this first shipment. Except for the gougers on Ebay and shady
vendors in the current shortage, the prices should trend downwards
over the next few months. Going to be difficult for ATi's partners to
match unless ATi hurts their own margins by giving them a price-break
on their much larger GPU silicon.

John Lewis

I think a lot of people in the know are going to sit this out and wait for
the DirectX 10 parts to come out before upgrading. It's not terribly far
away in the scale of things.

First of One March 11th 06 06:59 AM

eVGA 7900GT manufacturer-overclocked to 550/1580 at Newegg @359 !!

Come to think of it, what tangible features is DX10 supposed to offer
anyway? FP48? Game developers are barely scratching the surface with Shader
Model 3.0. What could they possibly do, graphics-wise, to make a game like
F.E.A.R. look more realistic?

McGrandpa March 11th 06 12:47 PM

"First of One" wrote in message
Come to think of it, what tangible features is DX10 supposed to offer
anyway? FP48? Game developers are barely scratching the surface with
Shader Model 3.0. What could they possibly do, graphics-wise, to make a
game like F.E.A.R. look more realistic?

Higher resolution meshes in the models. But that's the base end stuff, the
building block. At the upper rendering end, I don't know. Softshadows give
an awfully realistic (and sometimes creepy) feel to the whole scene. The
lighting/shadowing *did it* for me in FEAR. It went from ' it's ok,
ho-hum' to 'oh hell!' just that quick.
That's going from 6800GT 256 single card to 7800GTX 256 SLI. When I turned
on Softshadows for the 6800GT, things slowed to molasses in January in game.
Nothing in FEAR slowed down the 7800GTX's though. And the softshadows and
ultra quality lighting do make a huge difference in both quality of the
scene and in performance hit.
We've now got real looking effects of all kinds. fire, smoke, water, rain,
mist, shadowing, lighting. More realistic looking / shaped models would
help.
McG.

John Lewis March 11th 06 06:54 PM

eVGA 7900GT manufacturer-overclocked to 550/1580 at Newegg @359 !!

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 11:47:37 GMT, "McGrandpa"
wrote:

[...]

.... make FEAR a better game ?? Or give a more realistic (uh..) 'feel'
to Lara's curves when she is in motion ? Preordered the latest
version of Tomb Raider yet ? Gramps, come clean now; you are
amongst friends...

John Lewis