HardwareBanter

-   Homebuilt PC's (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Another RAM question (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=21665)

seabat October 23rd 04 04:20 PM

Another RAM question

I've got a machine running a stick of Kingston 128MB, 266MHz, DDR
PC2100 DIMM. I have a stick of unknown origin that has a sticker on it
that says it is PC100 64MB made in USA 1999. Will this stick mix with
the Kingston stick or should I just give in and buy another stick of
the Kingston??

This is for the folks machine and they don't need a whole lot of RAM,
but thought since I had this one laying around that I would stuff it
into their 'puter and put it to some use.

Thanks!

--
The Seabat

DaveW October 24th 04 12:15 AM

The two sticks of RAM that you have are incompatible; they have different
number of pins. You have to buy a DDR PC2100 stick of RAM for your
computer. The PC 100 is worthless.

--
DaveW

Papa October 24th 04 01:28 AM

Your unknown stick is an SDRAM chip. It won't even fit a DDR slot, and if
your motherboard happens to have both SDRAM and DDR slots, the DDR and SDRAM
chips cannot be used at the same time..