HardwareBanter

-   General (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   GTX950 GPU, Windows10 (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=198958)

Norm X[_2_] May 14th 18 10:26 PM

GTX950 GPU, Windows10

Hi,

Task manager tells me that Winows10 is using my GTX950 at all times. GPU
usage is maybe 4% with 0.8/4GB memory in use. Naturally I am pleased. But
what tasks could the OS assign to the GPU other than graphics? I noticed
that GPU use went way up when I did a large file copy. I use RDP, which
should minimize display graphics work, I think. Its summer so heat is
important. In winter I use excess heat for the room.

Just Curious

Paul[_28_] May 14th 18 11:22 PM

GTX950 GPU, Windows10

Norm X wrote:
Hi,

Task manager tells me that Winows10 is using my GTX950 at all times. GPU
usage is maybe 4% with 0.8/4GB memory in use. Naturally I am pleased. But
what tasks could the OS assign to the GPU other than graphics? I noticed
that GPU use went way up when I did a large file copy. I use RDP, which
should minimize display graphics work, I think. Its summer so heat is
important. In winter I use excess heat for the room.

Just Curious

You could try turning some of the "effects" off, which
might be switching the card into 3D mode.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-d...nce-windows-10

I hope there are no "tricky" coin-miners hiding
on your machine.

Paul

VanguardLH[_2_] May 15th 18 04:03 AM

GTX950 GPU, Windows10

Norm X wrote:

Task manager tells me that Winows10 is using my GTX950 at all times. GPU
usage is maybe 4% with 0.8/4GB memory in use. Naturally I am pleased. But
what tasks could the OS assign to the GPU other than graphics? I noticed
that GPU use went way up when I did a large file copy. I use RDP, which
should minimize display graphics work, I think. Its summer so heat is
important. In winter I use excess heat for the room.

Did you enable (or leave enabled by default) the hardware acceleration
option in the web browser(s)? The GPU is a big math processor, so apps
might use it to perform calculations. You did not mention what apps are
running at the time you check GPU usage, or the list of processes that
are loaded in memory at the time you check. No way for anyone else to
focus on the candidate process(es) without any knowledge of them.

See the same GPU usage when you boot into Windows' safe mode (to get rid
of all those startup programs)?