HardwareBanter

-   AMD x86-64 Processors (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   HP zv5000z notebook (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=8816)

General Schvantzkoph July 31st 04 11:56 PM

HP zv5000z notebook

I'm thinking about getting an HP zv5000z series notebook with an Athlon 64
3400+. Does anyone in the NG have one of these, how do you like it? Also
are there any Linux compatibility problems?

One final question, I vaguely recall reading something about HP selling
systems with a castrated AMD64 that only operated in 32 bit mode. Does
anyone know if the processors in the zv5000z are proper Athlon 64s?

None August 1st 04 11:58 PM

General Schvantzkoph wrote in
:

I'm thinking about getting an HP zv5000z series notebook with an
Athlon 64 3400+. Does anyone in the NG have one of these, how do you
like it?

A friend considered buying it. There are a few wrinkles:

1) The harddrive is only 4800 RPM.
2) The video card, a version of nVidia Go 440 (I think that's the model)
is not getting great reviews. Furthermore, there are reports that it
does not support DirectX. Since you will be using Linux, this does not
affect you. OTOH, there is a petition to get HP to switch over to ATI
cards.

Other than that, it seems to be a very good machine.

Also are there any Linux compatibility problems?

One final question, I vaguely recall reading something about HP
selling systems with a castrated AMD64 that only operated in 32 bit
mode. Does anyone know if the processors in the zv5000z are proper
Athlon 64s?

Hmm, of all the reviews of this machine that I've read (including a few
users), I have not come across this one at all.

Good luck.

Randy Howard August 3rd 04 07:29 AM

In article ,
says...
I'm thinking about getting an HP zv5000z series notebook with an Athlon 64
3400+.

Good choice.

Does anyone in the NG have one of these, how do you like it?

It's very nice, particularly as a portable 64-bit porting platform.

Also are there any Linux compatibility problems?

It seems to run SuSE 9.1 Pro 64-bit without a hitch. I haven't
tried any other distributions.

One final question, I vaguely recall reading something about HP selling
systems with a castrated AMD64 that only operated in 32 bit mode.

Sounds more like some of the early Intel EM64t "Nocona-ready" boxes that
are technically capable of 64-bit, but being sold with 32-bit CPUs.

Does anyone know if the processors in the zv5000z are proper Athlon 64s?

The HP zv5000 is definitely 64-bit, but it only has one. :-)

Only word of caution, DO NOT get the 1900xwhatever display. It's way too
fine pitch for a 15.4 panel, even if you have perfect vision. The
1600xwhatever option is much better and $100 less.

--
Randy Howard
To reply, remove FOOBAR.

General Schvantzkoph August 3rd 04 02:29 PM

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 06:29:40 +0000, Randy Howard wrote:

In article ,
says...
[...]

Is there any support for the Broadcom wireless card? I was under the
impression that Broadcom is completely unsupported.

Jason Cothran August 4th 04 02:24 AM

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
| On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 06:29:40 +0000, Randy Howard wrote:
|
| In article ,

| says...
| I'm thinking about getting an HP zv5000z series notebook with an Athlon
64
| 3400+.
|
| Good choice.
|
| Does anyone in the NG have one of these, how do you like it?
|
| It's very nice, particularly as a portable 64-bit porting platform.
|
| Also are there any Linux compatibility problems?
|
| It seems to run SuSE 9.1 Pro 64-bit without a hitch. I haven't
| tried any other distributions.
|
| One final question, I vaguely recall reading something about HP selling
| systems with a castrated AMD64 that only operated in 32 bit mode.
|
| Sounds more like some of the early Intel EM64t "Nocona-ready" boxes that
| are technically capable of 64-bit, but being sold with 32-bit CPUs.
|
| Does anyone know if the processors in the zv5000z are proper Athlon
64s?

| The HP zv5000 is definitely 64-bit, but it only has one. :-)
|
| Only word of caution, DO NOT get the 1900xwhatever display. It's way
too
| fine pitch for a 15.4 panel, even if you have perfect vision. The
| 1600xwhatever option is much better and $100 less.
|
| Is there any support for the Broadcom wireless card? I was under the
| impression that Broadcom is completely unsupported.

Broadcom provides absolutely 0 support for their wireless cards. They claim
it is the manufacturers' responsibilty since they don't make the cards. As
of now, there are no 64-bit drivers for the Broadcom card. An email from
Broadcom:

Hi Jason,

Thank you for contacting us and for your interest in Broadcom technology.
Broadcom does not sell products directly to end-users and is unable offer
comprehensive support for Broadcom's customers' products. If you are having
a particular problem with a Broadcom-based wireless product, please contact
the PC or wireless device manufacturer directly for support.

Sincerely,
Danny Crouch

General Schvantzkoph August 4th 04 02:43 AM

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 21:24:09 -0400, Jason Cothran wrote:

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
| On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 06:29:40 +0000, Randy Howard wrote:
|
| In article ,

| says...
| I'm thinking about getting an HP zv5000z series notebook with an Athlon
64
| 3400+.
|
| Good choice.
|
| Does anyone in the NG have one of these, how do you like it?
|
| It's very nice, particularly as a portable 64-bit porting platform.
|
| Also are there any Linux compatibility problems?
|
| It seems to run SuSE 9.1 Pro 64-bit without a hitch. I haven't
| tried any other distributions.
|
| One final question, I vaguely recall reading something about HP selling
| systems with a castrated AMD64 that only operated in 32 bit mode.
|
| Sounds more like some of the early Intel EM64t "Nocona-ready" boxes that
| are technically capable of 64-bit, but being sold with 32-bit CPUs.
|
| Does anyone know if the processors in the zv5000z are proper Athlon
64s?

| The HP zv5000 is definitely 64-bit, but it only has one. :-)
|
| Only word of caution, DO NOT get the 1900xwhatever display. It's way
too
| fine pitch for a 15.4 panel, even if you have perfect vision. The
| 1600xwhatever option is much better and $100 less.
|
| Is there any support for the Broadcom wireless card? I was under the
| impression that Broadcom is completely unsupported.

Broadcom provides absolutely 0 support for their wireless cards. They claim
it is the manufacturers' responsibilty since they don't make the cards. As
of now, there are no 64-bit drivers for the Broadcom card. An email from
Broadcom:

Hi Jason,

Thank you for contacting us and for your interest in Broadcom technology.
Broadcom does not sell products directly to end-users and is unable offer
comprehensive support for Broadcom's customers' products. If you are having
a particular problem with a Broadcom-based wireless product, please contact
the PC or wireless device manufacturer directly for support.

Sincerely,
Danny Crouch

Have you tried the ndiswrapper around the windows driver? How well does it
work?

Jason Cothran August 4th 04 02:56 AM

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
| On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 21:24:09 -0400, Jason Cothran wrote:
|

| "General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
| | On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 06:29:40 +0000, Randy Howard wrote:
| |
| | In article ,
|
| | says...
| | I'm thinking about getting an HP zv5000z series notebook with an
Athlon
| 64
| | 3400+.
| |
| | Good choice.
| |
| | Does anyone in the NG have one of these, how do you like it?
| |
| | It's very nice, particularly as a portable 64-bit porting platform.
| |
| | Also are there any Linux compatibility problems?
| |
| | It seems to run SuSE 9.1 Pro 64-bit without a hitch. I haven't
| | tried any other distributions.
| |
| | One final question, I vaguely recall reading something about HP
selling
| | systems with a castrated AMD64 that only operated in 32 bit mode.
| |
| | Sounds more like some of the early Intel EM64t "Nocona-ready" boxes
that
| | are technically capable of 64-bit, but being sold with 32-bit CPUs.
| |
| | Does anyone know if the processors in the zv5000z are proper Athlon
| 64s?
| |
| | The HP zv5000 is definitely 64-bit, but it only has one. :-)
| |
| | Only word of caution, DO NOT get the 1900xwhatever display. It's
way
| too
| | fine pitch for a 15.4 panel, even if you have perfect vision. The
| | 1600xwhatever option is much better and $100 less.
| |
| | Is there any support for the Broadcom wireless card? I was under the
| | impression that Broadcom is completely unsupported.
| |

| Broadcom provides absolutely 0 support for their wireless cards. They
claim
| it is the manufacturers' responsibilty since they don't make the cards.
As
| of now, there are no 64-bit drivers for the Broadcom card. An email from
| Broadcom:
|
| Hi Jason,
|
| Thank you for contacting us and for your interest in Broadcom
technology.
| Broadcom does not sell products directly to end-users and is unable
offer
| comprehensive support for Broadcom's customers' products. If you are
having
| a particular problem with a Broadcom-based wireless product, please
contact
| the PC or wireless device manufacturer directly for support.
|
| Sincerely,
| Danny Crouch
|

| Have you tried the ndiswrapper around the windows driver? How well does it
| work?

It will work if you are running 32-bit Linux, but there are no 64-bit
windows drivers to wrap to 64-bit Linux unfortunately.

General Schvantzkoph August 4th 04 03:03 AM

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 21:56:19 -0400, Jason Cothran wrote:

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
| On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 21:24:09 -0400, Jason Cothran wrote:
|

| "General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
| | On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 06:29:40 +0000, Randy Howard wrote:
| |
| | In article ,
|
| | says...
| | I'm thinking about getting an HP zv5000z series notebook with an
Athlon
| 64
| | 3400+.
| |
| | Good choice.
| |
| | Does anyone in the NG have one of these, how do you like it?
| |
| | It's very nice, particularly as a portable 64-bit porting platform.
| |
| | Also are there any Linux compatibility problems?
| |
| | It seems to run SuSE 9.1 Pro 64-bit without a hitch. I haven't
| | tried any other distributions.
| |
| | One final question, I vaguely recall reading something about HP
selling
| | systems with a castrated AMD64 that only operated in 32 bit mode.
| |
| | Sounds more like some of the early Intel EM64t "Nocona-ready" boxes
that
| | are technically capable of 64-bit, but being sold with 32-bit CPUs.
| |
| | Does anyone know if the processors in the zv5000z are proper Athlon
| 64s?
| |
| | The HP zv5000 is definitely 64-bit, but it only has one. :-)
| |
| | Only word of caution, DO NOT get the 1900xwhatever display. It's
way
| too
| | fine pitch for a 15.4 panel, even if you have perfect vision. The
| | 1600xwhatever option is much better and $100 less.
| |
| | Is there any support for the Broadcom wireless card? I was under the
| | impression that Broadcom is completely unsupported.
| |

| Broadcom provides absolutely 0 support for their wireless cards. They
claim
| it is the manufacturers' responsibilty since they don't make the cards.
As
| of now, there are no 64-bit drivers for the Broadcom card. An email from
| Broadcom:
|
| Hi Jason,
|
| Thank you for contacting us and for your interest in Broadcom
technology.
| Broadcom does not sell products directly to end-users and is unable
offer
| comprehensive support for Broadcom's customers' products. If you are
having
| a particular problem with a Broadcom-based wireless product, please
contact
| the PC or wireless device manufacturer directly for support.
|
| Sincerely,
| Danny Crouch
|

| Have you tried the ndiswrapper around the windows driver? How well does it
| work?

It will work if you are running 32-bit Linux, but there are no 64-bit
windows drivers to wrap to 64-bit Linux unfortunately.

Not even beta drivers to go with the beta version of 64 bit XP?

Jason Cothran August 4th 04 03:05 AM

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
| On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 21:56:19 -0400, Jason Cothran wrote:
|

| "General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
| | On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 21:24:09 -0400, Jason Cothran wrote:
| |
| |
| | "General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
| | | On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 06:29:40 +0000, Randy Howard wrote:
| | |
| | | In article ,
| |
| | | says...
| | | I'm thinking about getting an HP zv5000z series notebook with
an
| Athlon
| | 64
| | | 3400+.
| | |
| | | Good choice.
| | |
| | | Does anyone in the NG have one of these, how do you like it?
| | |
| | | It's very nice, particularly as a portable 64-bit porting
platform.
| | |
| | | Also are there any Linux compatibility problems?
| | |
| | | It seems to run SuSE 9.1 Pro 64-bit without a hitch. I haven't
| | | tried any other distributions.
| | |
| | | One final question, I vaguely recall reading something about HP
| selling
| | | systems with a castrated AMD64 that only operated in 32 bit
mode.
| | |
| | | Sounds more like some of the early Intel EM64t "Nocona-ready"
boxes
| that
| | | are technically capable of 64-bit, but being sold with 32-bit
CPUs.
| | |
| | | Does anyone know if the processors in the zv5000z are proper
Athlon
| | 64s?
| | |
| | | The HP zv5000 is definitely 64-bit, but it only has one. :-)
| | |
| | | Only word of caution, DO NOT get the 1900xwhatever display.
It's
| way
| | too
| | | fine pitch for a 15.4 panel, even if you have perfect vision.
The
| | | 1600xwhatever option is much better and $100 less.
| | |
| | | Is there any support for the Broadcom wireless card? I was under
the
| | | impression that Broadcom is completely unsupported.
| | |
| |
| | Broadcom provides absolutely 0 support for their wireless cards.
They
| claim
| | it is the manufacturers' responsibilty since they don't make the
cards.
| As
| | of now, there are no 64-bit drivers for the Broadcom card. An email
from
| | Broadcom:
| |
| | Hi Jason,
| |
| | Thank you for contacting us and for your interest in Broadcom
| technology.
| | Broadcom does not sell products directly to end-users and is unable
| offer
| | comprehensive support for Broadcom's customers' products. If you are
| having
| | a particular problem with a Broadcom-based wireless product, please
| contact
| | the PC or wireless device manufacturer directly for support.
| |
| | Sincerely,
| | Danny Crouch
| |

| |
| | Have you tried the ndiswrapper around the windows driver? How well
does it
| | work?
|
| It will work if you are running 32-bit Linux, but there are no 64-bit
| windows drivers to wrap to 64-bit Linux unfortunately.
|
| Not even beta drivers to go with the beta version of 64 bit XP?

Unfortunately I have been unable to find them, and Broadcom is not willing
to share them with me if they are available.