HardwareBanter

-   AMD x86-64 Processors (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   64 bit OS compatability (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=8703)

Menuz2 May 12th 04 09:25 PM

64 bit OS compatability

If I load a 64 bit Linux, such as SUSE, will it run both existing 32 bit and
new 64 bit binaries. Not every program I would like to use is available in
source. Most but not all. The same question for the beta XP 86-64 release.
Normal Win32 OS's did a good job running 16 programs, I am just wondering
about the new 64 OSes?

Nuz

General Schvantzkoph May 12th 04 11:26 PM

On Wed, 12 May 2004 16:25:51 -0400, Menuz2 wrote:

If I load a 64 bit Linux, such as SUSE, will it run both existing 32 bit and
new 64 bit binaries. Not every program I would like to use is available in
source. Most but not all. The same question for the beta XP 86-64 release.
Normal Win32 OS's did a good job running 16 programs, I am just wondering
about the new 64 OSes?

Nuz

It's not a 32 bit vs 64 bit issue. The real problem is likely to be with
the libraries that the binary applications require. For example I use a
number of binary applications, Cadence's NCsim and Xilinx's tool suite. On
Mandrake 10 (32 bit version on a standard Xeon or PIII) I can't run the
GUI tools in Xilinx's suite but I can run everything in the Cadence tool
set. The issue has to do with some library that changed between between
Mandrake 9.2 and 10, Xilinx relies on it, Cadence doesn't. In theory there
should be no problem running both 32 and 64 bit binaries on a 64 bit OS
but you won't know for your applications unless you try them.

Wayne @ W. May 13th 04 12:51 AM

Win64 for AMD does run 32bit programs.
1. Office 2002 Pro
2. Red Alert 2 & addon Yuri's Revenge
3. Unreal Tournament GOTY edition
4. Simcity 3000

And I am sure it does many many more, but those I tested myself. g

Wayne

bebopper May 13th 04 01:07 AM

On Wed, 12 May 2004 18:51:56 -0500, "Wayne @ W."
wrote:

Win64 for AMD does run 32bit programs.
1. Office 2002 Pro
2. Red Alert 2 & addon Yuri's Revenge
3. Unreal Tournament GOTY edition
4. Simcity 3000

And I am sure it does many many more, but those I tested myself. g

Wayne

True ... There just aren't a whole lot of DRIVERS for 64-bit
Windows yet ...

- bebopper

Wayne @ W. May 13th 04 01:21 AM

That is so true. Fortuneatly it has drivers that come with it for my ATI AIW
8500DV 64mb card, and Creative released drivers for my Auidgy 2 ZS sound
card, and Nvidia released updated 64bit drivers for my Nforce 3 250 Chipset
mobo. :o) Oh, and it came with drivers for my HP 932c Deskjet printer.

Wayne

Ian Hastie May 13th 04 05:31 PM

On Wed, 12 May 2004 18:26:55 -0400, General Schvantzkoph wrote:

It's not a 32 bit vs 64 bit issue. The real problem is likely to be with
the libraries that the binary applications require. For example I use a
number of binary applications, Cadence's NCsim and Xilinx's tool suite. On
Mandrake 10 (32 bit version on a standard Xeon or PIII) I can't run the
GUI tools in Xilinx's suite but I can run everything in the Cadence tool
set. The issue has to do with some library that changed between between
Mandrake 9.2 and 10, Xilinx relies on it, Cadence doesn't. In theory there
should be no problem running both 32 and 64 bit binaries on a 64 bit OS
but you won't know for your applications unless you try them.

So Xilinx relies on a 32bit library that AMD64 Mandrake 10 doesn't have.
Get a binary image of the old lib and install it. Better yet get the
source for the older version and compile a 32bit image and it should work.
Try doing that with most MS Windows programmes. This is the real
advantage of open source, you're not tied to the whims of a third party.

--
Ian.

EOM

Wayne @ W. May 13th 04 06:30 PM

"Ian Hastie" wrote in message
[...]

Flash: EU Software Patent Legislation: a real threat for Linux and Open
Source

Mandrakesoft would like to alert all users and the software community at
large about a recent clandestine attack by proprietary interest through
covert adoption of EU Software Patent Legislation.

In direct contravention of the recent vote by the European Parliament to
curtail Software Patents, the Irish Presidency of the European Union has
surreptitiously reinstated unlimited software patent language into the
text of a statement to be adopted by the European Council of Ministers
on Monday May, 17th, without further debate!

The new text, if adopted, will extend Software Patents to every piece of
software, including computer programs, data structures, and process
descriptions. This will directly harm most software firms and all Open
Source projects unable to pay patent licensing tribute, and amounts to
an appropriation of the public domain by proprietary interests. A
direct beneficiary will be a new class of pure patent companies without
any real business or contribution to employment, which will use the
threat of litigation to extort payments.
Of note is that a sponsor of the Irish Presidency is Microsoft,
currently building a large patent portfolio. If the Software Patent
text is adopted, Microsoft may use this patent portfolio against Linux
and other Open Source projects.

Mandrakesoft would like to forewarn and mobilize its users and the
software community about the very real threat of such a law. Please
contact the media, your political representatives, and your government,
and urge them to vote against unlimited Software Patents and to revert
to the previous European Parliament position.

For further information please see the following links:
http://swpat.ffii.org/journal/04/cons0507/index.en.html
http://kwiki.ffii.org/SwpatcninoEn

Mandrakesoft Online Team.