HardwareBanter

-   AMD x86-64 Processors (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Will the AMD64 3200+ work with only an Antec 300 Watt PSU? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=8677)

Wayne Wastier April 21st 04 04:25 AM

Will the AMD64 3200+ work with only an Antec 300 Watt PSU?

I think I probably need to update my PSU, but... my funds are little short
this month, and so I wonder if it will work with my present PSU.

Antec 300 Watt Model #:PP-303XP
ABIT K8T800 KV8-MAX3 Retail
AMD64 3200+ Retail

Wayne

Wes Newell April 21st 04 07:17 AM

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 22:25:45 -0500, Wayne Wastier wrote:

I think I probably need to update my PSU, but... my funds are little short
this month, and so I wonder if it will work with my present PSU.

Antec 300 Watt Model #:PP-303XP
ABIT K8T800 KV8-MAX3 Retail
AMD64 3200+ Retail

I doubt it. Mine wouldn't work on a 400watt that I ran my XP system on.
Not even close. I'm still using it in my XP system though without a
problem. For the 64 system I ordered 3 new PSU's, a 500W, 550W, and 600W.
The 500W was a Power Magic and it worked fine as did the others which were
Lead Power. The 500W was $15 shipped from amamax.com. So if you can scrape
up $15 you're in business. The 400W that didn't work was a Powerline.

http://www.amamax.com/psspecial2fnlp6100e.html

goblin April 21st 04 07:30 AM

Wes Newell wrote in
news:pan.2004.04.21.06.19.08.395272@TAKEOUTverizon .net:

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 22:25:45 -0500, Wayne Wastier wrote:

I think I probably need to update my PSU, but... my funds are little
short this month, and so I wonder if it will work with my present
PSU.

Antec 300 Watt Model #:PP-303XP
ABIT K8T800 KV8-MAX3 Retail
AMD64 3200+ Retail

I doubt it. Mine wouldn't work on a 400watt that I ran my XP system
on. Not even close. I'm still using it in my XP system though without
a problem. For the 64 system I ordered 3 new PSU's, a 500W, 550W, and
600W. The 500W was a Power Magic and it worked fine as did the others
which were Lead Power. The 500W was $15 shipped from amamax.com. So if
you can scrape up $15 you're in business. The 400W that didn't work
was a Powerline.

http://www.amamax.com/psspecial2fnlp6100e.html

I have a 450W powering a64 3200+, 4 hard drives, cd burner, dvd burner,
wintv card, and usb camera. No problems and almost no heat either.

Angry American April 21st 04 01:12 PM

goblin wrote:
[...]

You probably don't have a 15 dollar cheap ass PSU either like Wes. You get
what you pay for. Most cheap PSU's ratings are usually junk, and in the real
world a 500 watt PSU would only put out 250 to 300 in normal room
temperatures. PC Power and Cooling is the only way to go for clean as
advertised power. There are two things a person should never skimp on in
building a PC, the PSU, and the Case. The case will be with you for several
systems, so it better be good, and your PSU as well is the "base" of your
system. Get a cheap one, and your system no matter how bad assed will still
be only mediocre. Spend the money on the basics, and your reliability and
satisfaction will be a lot better.

Dan

Dan

Jason Cothran April 21st 04 01:21 PM

"Wayne Wastier" wrote in message
| I think I probably need to update my PSU, but... my funds are little short
| this month, and so I wonder if it will work with my present PSU.
|

| Antec 300 Watt Model #:PP-303XP
| ABIT K8T800 KV8-MAX3 Retail
| AMD64 3200+ Retail

If it is a GOOD 300w power supply with a true rating, then yes, it will work
flawlessly. If it is a cheap power "300w" power supply, then it is probably
only about 180-200 in real world conditions at best. I have a A64 3200+
running on a 350w enermax power supply without a hitch. Of note, that PC
also has DVD burner and DVD-rom, ATI 9800XT, two SATA hard drives, 4 90mm
fans, and one 80mm fan plugged directly in. I am not sure of the rating
system Antec uses, but there goods are typically respectable.

[email protected] April 21st 04 02:34 PM

wrote:

I think I probably need to update my PSU, but... my funds are little short
this month, and so I wonder if it will work with my present PSU.

Antec 300 Watt Model #:PP-303XP
ABIT K8T800 KV8-MAX3 Retail
AMD64 3200+ Retail

Wayne

I recall seeing a notice that you need at least 16A +12.

hmm.. maybe that was 18 ;)

Wayne Wastier April 21st 04 04:43 PM

Thanks Jason. Here are the specs:

http://www.antec-inc.com/specs/p303xp_spe.html

. ..

General Schvantzkoph April 21st 04 05:01 PM

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 10:43:06 -0500, Wayne Wastier wrote:

Thanks Jason. Here are the specs:

http://www.antec-inc.com/specs/p303xp_spe.html

"Jason Cothran" wrote in message
. ..

"Wayne Wastier" wrote in message
| I think I probably need to update my PSU, but... my funds are little
short
| this month, and so I wonder if it will work with my present PSU.
|

| Antec 300 Watt Model #:PP-303XP
| ABIT K8T800 KV8-MAX3 Retail
| AMD64 3200+ Retail

If it is a GOOD 300w power supply with a true rating, then yes, it will
work
flawlessly. If it is a cheap power "300w" power supply, then it is
probably
only about 180-200 in real world conditions at best. I have a A64 3200+
running on a 350w enermax power supply without a hitch. Of note, that PC
also has DVD burner and DVD-rom, ATI 9800XT, two SATA hard drives, 4 90mm
fans, and one 80mm fan plugged directly in. I am not sure of the rating
system Antec uses, but there goods are typically respectable.

It looks a little undersized. Does it have the extra 4 pin 12V connector?
(the 4 pin connector is on "P4" compatible supplies, you'll need it for an
AMD64 system also).

Wayne Wastier April 21st 04 06:16 PM

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 10:43:06 -0500, Wayne Wastier wrote:

Thanks Jason. Here are the specs:

http://www.antec-inc.com/specs/p303xp_spe.html

"Jason Cothran" wrote in message
. ..

"Wayne Wastier" wrote in message
| I think I probably need to update my PSU, but... my funds are little
short
| this month, and so I wonder if it will work with my present PSU.
|

| Antec 300 Watt Model #:PP-303XP
| ABIT K8T800 KV8-MAX3 Retail
| AMD64 3200+ Retail

If it is a GOOD 300w power supply with a true rating, then yes, it will
work
flawlessly. If it is a cheap power "300w" power supply, then it is
probably
only about 180-200 in real world conditions at best. I have a A64 3200+
running on a 350w enermax power supply without a hitch. Of note, that PC
also has DVD burner and DVD-rom, ATI 9800XT, two SATA hard drives, 4
90mm
fans, and one 80mm fan plugged directly in. I am not sure of the rating
system Antec uses, but there goods are typically respectable.

It looks a little undersized. Does it have the extra 4 pin 12V connector?
(the 4 pin connector is on "P4" compatible supplies, you'll need it for an
AMD64 system also).

Yes, it has that, and the other connector for AMD boards.

Wes Newell April 21st 04 09:40 PM

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 10:43:06 -0500, Wayne Wastier wrote:

Thanks Jason. Here are the specs:

http://www.antec-inc.com/specs/p303xp_spe.html

Might work. Might work for a while and then blow due to overload. If
you don't have a spare, get another PSU and keep this for a spare. All
three of the ones I listed work, The 400W that didn't was weak on the +12v
line. Using an old AT PSU to power everything except the MB allowed the MB
to boot, so it was oviously a PSU problem. I tested all of the new PSU's
and they all worked fine with stable voltages, so if you've in a money
pinch.....
And that old saying that you get what you pay for is just that, an old
saying. In real life, it's BS. The cost has nothing to do with the quality
of the product. This has been proven hundreds of times.