HardwareBanter

-   -   1.0-4363 Linux driver - Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module! (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=49581)

Jason Becker July 6th 03 12:24 AM

1.0-4363 Linux driver - Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!

Hi All.

I have a Nvidia GeForce2 MX 400 video card that I'm using with
Mandrake 9.1. I installed the latest Nvidia driver available from:

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=li..._ia32_1.0-4363

Problem is that it seems rather flakey. It will work for awhile and
then X will fail to load. The /var/log/mdkkde.log writes the following
entry:

-begin-

Using vt 7
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!
(EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

-end-

If I:

insmod ./nvidia.o

it will work fine again, for awhile.

Anyone else experienced the same? I think this driver is buggy. This
is becoming rather annoying...

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Chris Wilkinson July 6th 03 01:55 AM

Hi there,

Jason Becker wrote:
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!
(EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 contains the definitions for screens, monitors,
drivers etc...

Try running Mandrake Control Center to make sure all your monitor,
screen res, display manager chooser etc settings are correct (max
refresh rates etc...), then check the above file to see they read
OK.

Also, are you running an AMD CPU (Duron/Athlon)? If so, you will
need the amd32 version, not the ia32 version (for genuine Intel
CPU's). Grab it from nvidia's website...

Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, New Zealand.

aep@nospam writeme.com July 6th 03 07:47 AM

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 12:55:56 +1200, Chris Wilkinson
wrote:

Also, are you running an AMD CPU (Duron/Athlon)? If so, you will
need the amd32 version, not the ia32 version (for genuine Intel
CPU's). Grab it from nvidia's website...

There isn't an AMD32 on the website. I use the IA32 with MDK 9.1 just
fine on my Athlon.

Andrew.

Jason Becker July 6th 03 04:13 PM

Chris Wilkinson wrote in message ...
Hi there,

Jason Becker wrote:
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!
(EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 contains the definitions for screens, monitors,
drivers etc...

It all looks good... The same config file works fine (Tuxracer,
Chromium) once I manually install the module/driver. To be more
specific, the only time there seems to be a problem is upon
boot/reboot. With the Nvidia driver the screen flickers a few times
(normal) but instead of the Nvidia splash screen I get the init 3
console screen.

Try running Mandrake Control Center to make sure all your monitor,
screen res, display manager chooser etc settings are correct (max
refresh rates etc...), then check the above file to see they read
OK.

Also looks good. I did try changing from the Mandrake DM to the KDE DM
but that didn't help.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Cheers

Jason Becker July 6th 03 04:14 PM

baskitcaise wrote in message ...
baskitcaise wrote:

To the OP have a look at your /etc/modules.conf and see if it has the line:-

alias char-major-195 nvidia

in it ( should be down the bottom somewhere ) if not then add this line and
reboot, see if this makes any difference.

That line exists.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Cheers

Jason Becker July 6th 03 04:39 PM

(Jason Becker) wrote in message . com...
[...]

As a workaround I have added:

insmod /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o

to my /etc/rc.local

Cheers

Walt July 6th 03 07:19 PM

In the readme it explains how to start
the nvidia module on boot up it the
correct way to start a module. In
addition the readme has the neccessary
info on configuring X.

Jason Becker wrote:

(Jason Becker)

--
Linux - Debian distro of choice
Linux Counter #314187

Chris Wilkinson July 10th 03 11:35 AM

hi there,

baskitcaise wrote:
Chris Wilkinson wrote:

Also, are you running an AMD CPU (Duron/Athlon)? If so, you will
need the amd32 version, not the ia32 version (for genuine Intel
CPU's). Grab it from nvidia's website...

Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, New Zealand.

Not wishing to doubt you here but I have never seen nvidia drivers
specifically for the athlon ( there are some compiled for the 64bit arch but
not 32bit )

you're right there, ooops!

ia must mean iNTEL/aMD32...

Checking the doc that comes with the nvidia driver is also a good
idea, as its a quite comprehensive one...

L8R,

CW.