HardwareBanter

-   -   Which video card? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=49479)

michael June 30th 03 05:05 AM

Which video card?

Presently I have a 64MB GeFORCE 2 MX 100/200 card installed in my system.Are
there any better cards
available that will work properly with a 250 watt power supply?I can't
upgrade the psu,it's a Compaq
Presario with a proprietary design.I tried a Geforce 4
Ti 4200,it worked great even with games as recent as ELITE FORCE2 and
SoF2,but UNREAL 2 causes a complete shutdown.
The monitor shuts off,the system stops responding to anything,though the
power light remains on.Blackhawk Down also caused this.
I can only guess that these games caused too great a power demand with the
4200.

Scott June 30th 03 05:25 AM

Dude, your going to need to find a way to upgrade that power supply. If =
it doesn't fit, then set it somewhere. 250W is cutting it very close =
for today's high end, heat producing hardware.

Scott

"michael" wrote in message =
Presently I have a 64MB GeFORCE 2 MX 100/200 card installed in my =

system.Are
there any better cards
available that will work properly with a 250 watt power supply?I can't
upgrade the psu,it's a Compaq
Presario with a proprietary design.I tried a Geforce 4
Ti 4200,it worked great even with games as recent as ELITE FORCE2 and
SoF2,but UNREAL 2 causes a complete shutdown.
The monitor shuts off,the system stops responding to anything,though =

the
power light remains on.Blackhawk Down also caused this.
I can only guess that these games caused too great a power demand with =

the
4200.
=20

michael June 30th 03 05:59 AM

It's not a matter of shape or size,the motherboard connector uses a
completely different 24 pin arrangement from any other psu,and Compaq only
makes them in 235 and 250 watt models.Why they used such a low powered unit
in a Pentium 4 system is beyond me.I've searched for months for a third
party unit that would work,or even an adaptor to use with one,but it's
hopeless.

J.Clarke June 30th 03 08:23 AM

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 11:36:07 +0100
"Jdr" wrote:

"Dude" ? See what it means.

dude /dud, djud/ n. & v. slang (orig. US). L19. [Prob. f. G dial. =
fool(cf. LG dudenkop 'stupid head').]

Do you really think this is a suitable word for addressing people ?

In the United States in the early part of the 21st Century "dude" is
part of the vernacular. The use of "dude" as an equivalent to "pal",
"buddy", the British usage of "mate", and so on originated, I believe,
in the black community in the US some time in the 1960s and has since,
as a result of white people wanting to appear to be in touch with the
latest trends, become widespread, to the point that it was used by Dell
Computer as part of their advertising slogan recently, the slogan being
"Dude, you're gettin' a Dell". Since that time its use in the context
of"Dude, you're gettin' a (whatever)" has become a humorous way of
making a suggestion.

Strange....

"michael" wrote in message
Presently I have a 64MB GeFORCE 2 MX 100/200 card installed in my

system.Are
there any better cards
available that will work properly with a 250 watt power supply?I
can't upgrade the psu,it's a Compaq
Presario with a proprietary design.I tried a Geforce 4
Ti 4200,it worked great even with games as recent as ELITE FORCE2
and SoF2,but UNREAL 2 causes a complete shutdown.
The monitor shuts off,the system stops responding to anything,though
the power light remains on.Blackhawk Down also caused this.
I can only guess that these games caused too great a power demand
with the 4200.

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

J.Clarke June 30th 03 01:07 PM

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 13:29:52 GMT
carchadon wrote:

Jdr wrote:

"Dude" ? See what it means.

dude /dud, djud/ n. & v. slang (orig. US). L19. [Prob. f. G dial. =
fool(cf. LG dudenkop 'stupid head').]

Do you really think this is a suitable word for addressing people ?

Strange....

You sad, sad man.

Or someone who is not a native speaker of English or is from a locality
in which "dude" is not part of the vernacular, in which case he was no
doubt puzzled by it and looked it up and found that it, according to the
dictionary definition, was inappropriate for the use in question.

Scott June 30th 03 01:44 PM

You obviously have WAY too much time on your hands.....Dude :)

"Jdr" wrote in message =
"Dude" ? See what it means.
=20
dude /dud, djud/ n. & v. slang (orig. US). L19. [Prob. f. G dial. =3D =

fool
(cf. LG dudenkop 'stupid head').]
=20

Scott June 30th 03 01:47 PM

Well in that case your only hope is to get hooked up in a Compaq user =
groups somewhere. You then might get hooked up with some resources out =
there, where others have had the same issue. Beyond that, my only =
recommendation is to build your own next time. I've been building my =
own rigs for 7 years now, and have never looked back.

Scott

Lester Piglet June 30th 03 02:52 PM

It may not be your power supplys fault that Unreal2 crashed, it repeatedly
crashed on my machine and all my friends pc's. I only use quality hardware.

--
Les Ross
Certified by a