HardwareBanter

-   Gigabyte Motherboards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Unable To Get Boot Menu (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=195773)

(PeteCresswell) June 26th 15 02:49 AM

Unable To Get Boot Menu

Z87X-UD4H-CF mobo, socket 1150 LGA.

The GigaByte splash screen still says F12 for boot menu, but it's not
happening - keeps going right on to Windows.

Tried Del and got BIOS, but the BIOS menus were different from the last
time I was in there - as if I had somehow accidentally accepted some
sort of GigaByte update.

I'm guessing I have to do something in the new BIOS screen to get F12 to
bring up a Boot Menu... but what?
--
Pete Cresswell

(PeteCresswell) June 26th 15 04:25 AM

Unable To Get Boot Menu

Per (PeteCresswell):
I'm guessing I have to do something in the new BIOS screen to get F12 to
bring up a Boot Menu... but what?

Got it... or, at least, a workaround.

New BIOS menu lists every storage device known to the system in it's
Boot Sequence menu.

It was just a matter of setting the USB drive/stick to be the first
choice before the DVD drives and then the System Drive.

I am guessing that:

- I goofed by somehow allowing that new BIOS utility to be added

- Giga goofed by leaving the PF12 for Boot Menu in the splash
screen when no such option is available. (??)

My money is on #1... I think #2 is a stretch...but still...
--
Pete Cresswell

Paul June 26th 15 07:42 AM

Unable To Get Boot Menu

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per (PeteCresswell):
I'm guessing I have to do something in the new BIOS screen to get F12 to
bring up a Boot Menu... but what?

Got it... or, at least, a workaround.

New BIOS menu lists every storage device known to the system in it's
Boot Sequence menu.

It was just a matter of setting the USB drive/stick to be the first
choice before the DVD drives and then the System Drive.

I am guessing that:

- I goofed by somehow allowing that new BIOS utility to be added

- Giga goofed by leaving the PF12 for Boot Menu in the splash
screen when no such option is available. (??)

My money is on #1... I think #2 is a stretch...but still...

If you're using Windows 8, a "shutdown" actually keeps
things in "hibernate" state. And in "hibernate" state,
the popup boot menu is disabled, and the system restores
from hibernation instead.

You need to do a "complete shutdown" from Windows 8,
in order for the motherboard BIOS boot to behave
in the legacy (expected) way.

I do this on some of my systems. In a Command Prompt
window, elevated with "Run As Administrator" I do

powercfg -h off

and then do a reboot. If you do that, you should
be able to use F12 or whatever it says to use.

That will also disable S4 hibernation. Later,
you can do

powercfg -h on

to return to normal. And then you can run off
and research "how to do a complete shutdown of
Windows 8 or 10".

Paul

(PeteCresswell) June 26th 15 05:44 PM

Unable To Get Boot Menu

Per Paul:
If you're using Windows 8, a "shutdown" actually keeps
things in "hibernate" state. And in "hibernate" state,
the popup boot menu is disabled, and the system restores
from hibernation instead.

You need to do a "complete shutdown" from Windows 8,
in order for the motherboard BIOS boot to behave
in the legacy (expected) way.

I do this on some of my systems. In a Command Prompt
window, elevated with "Run As Administrator" I do

powercfg -h off

This one was on Windows 7 - but it seemed like it was acting that way
because it kept ignoring F 12 and going right to Windows' "Last shutdown
was abnormal, what do you want to do?" menu.

I thought something like the "complete shutdown" thing might be a player
so I did try a few alternatives - including pulling the plug and
explicitly clicking "Shutdown"

Thanks for the powercfg syntax.... I will try that next time around.
--
Pete Cresswell