HardwareBanter

-   Overclocking AMD Processors (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   USB/Firewire combo card problem (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=8284)

Bruin November 8th 03 07:42 PM

USB/Firewire combo card problem

Sorry, I am a bit long winded!
A couple months ago I purchased a USB/Firewire combo card from Newegg.com.
As follows:
Koutech IO-FUTURE IO-PFU330 FIREWIRE/1394 + usb 2.0 COMBO PCI OEM

Installed it & it ran great. I used it for an external hard drive, flash
drive, mouse, no problems at all. I was using Win98 at the time. Since
then I had to upgrade to WinXP & got Pro. I loaded up XP & got the video
drivers in & then proceeded to try & use my external drive where I had
everything backed up & all my hardware drivers. As soon as I turned it on,
Windows saw it & all, but the moment I tried to access it BAM! instant
reboot. Everytime I tried to access it. Acomdata 80 gig external
USB/firewire drive.

To get all I needed off the drive, I pulled the card out & enabled the
onboard USB1 & it installed fine. Windows warned me that I was using a 2.0
device on a old USB but it worked, although very slowly. After I got all I
needed & downloaded over 100meg of patches from MS, everything seemed
fat-n-happy so... I disabled the onboard USB & attempted to reinstall the
2.0
card. NO POST. No matter what PCI slot I used the card would not let my
machine even beep. So I RMA'd it & Newegg got the new card in my hands in 8
days (hats off to Newegg).

The new card seemed ok, I can boot my machine with it, but I still get the
rebooting problem when trying to access the external drive. PLUS the USB
mouse won't work (worked with 98SE). The flash drive is the only thing that
works. I have tried the card in 3 different PCI slots.

Anyone got any ideas?

System specs:

Soyo KT7 Dragon Plus VIA266A
AMD XP 1800+