HardwareBanter

-   General (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Compact Flash Reader USB Problem (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=2403)

Stevesco November 30th 03 03:29 PM

Compact Flash Reader USB Problem

Hi all

I just got this message from a mate, which I wonder if anyone could suggest
what he could try to sort out his problem...he is running Windows 98 second
edition.

" I bought a compact flash card reader, I connected the device to a USB port
and Ignored the software installation set up prompts. (I thought it might be
a plug & play)
When I insert the software disk and try to install a pop up box tells me the
software is already installed and I can progress no further.
If I go into the add & delete I can see "USB storage reader device" I delete
it but when I try to reinstall the software again, it again says already
installed.
I tried the above numerous times and have also restarted the PC. "

Thanks
Steve

kony November 30th 03 04:46 PM

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 14:29:08 +0000 (UTC), "Stevesco"
wrote:

[...]

First the reader should be unplugged from the system. Then the entry
should be deleted from Device Manager if it appears there, and removed
from Add/Remove programs if the following doesn't work:

Install the driver first. Reboot the system, then plug in the USB
reader.

If the above fails and it's been less than 5 days he can boot to a DOS
prompt and do a "scanreg /restore" and choose the registry backup made
just prior to first attempt, plug-in of the USB reader.

Dave