HardwareBanter

-   AMD x86-64 Processors (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   754 or 939 (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=9017)

iso December 3rd 04 05:07 AM

754 or 939

I'm looking to buy a brand new system with AMD Athlon 64 processor.

Should I get the 754 or 939 pin model? I see that the 939pin mobo's also
support the FX version of the Athlon 64 chip. But are there any performance
difference(s) between the two?

Is there any reason that I might want to go for the 754? I see that both
types are priced about the same.

Thanks for your replies.

Marshall December 3rd 04 05:40 AM

iso wrote:
I'm looking to buy a brand new system with AMD Athlon 64 processor.

Should I get the 754 or 939 pin model? I see that the 939pin mobo's also
support the FX version of the Athlon 64 chip. But are there any performance
difference(s) between the two?

Is there any reason that I might want to go for the 754? I see that both
types are priced about the same.

Thanks for your replies.

When you say they are priced about the same, are you including the CPU
and memory requirements?

crabbs December 4th 04 10:50 PM

iso wrote:

I'm looking to buy a brand new system with AMD Athlon 64 processor.

Should I get the 754 or 939 pin model? I see that the 939pin mobo's
also support the FX version of the Athlon 64 chip. But are there any
performance difference(s) between the two?

Is there any reason that I might want to go for the 754? I see that
both types are priced about the same.

Thanks for your replies.

The real difference is the dual memory channel of the 939. It only gives
maybe 3% speed improvement over the single channel 754.

As far as upgrades...well, the way I look at it is by the time I want a new
CPU, I'm gonna want a new mainboard too.

One thing to consider is that the 939 is is a 90nm chip and therefore runs
cooler. This might be considered if you plan to overclock.

I'm planning on getting a 754 setup after xmas.

Rudy December 4th 04 11:53 PM

"crabbs" wrote in message
.47...
iso wrote:

I'm looking to buy a brand new system with AMD Athlon 64 processor.

Should I get the 754 or 939 pin model? I see that the 939pin mobo's
also support the FX version of the Athlon 64 chip. But are there any
performance difference(s) between the two?

Is there any reason that I might want to go for the 754? I see that
both types are priced about the same.

Thanks for your replies.

this might help
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.html?i=1947
not sure if I posted the link right, but it says that the fastest Socket-754
CPU will be the Athlon 64 3700+

gerry December 6th 04 05:43 AM

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 00:07:57 -0500, "iso" wrote:

I'm looking to buy a brand new system with AMD Athlon 64 processor.

Should I get the 754 or 939 pin model? I see that the 939pin mobo's also
support the FX version of the Athlon 64 chip. But are there any performance
difference(s) between the two?

Is there any reason that I might want to go for the 754? I see that both
types are priced about the same.

Thanks for your replies.

If you plan on buying a lot more motherboards in the next two years,
the 939 cpu would be better. I'm not ;)