HardwareBanter

-   General (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   nVidia GPU reccomendadtion please. (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=198621)

~misfit~[_16_] February 6th 18 09:49 AM

nVidia GPU reccomendadtion please.

I'm running an ATI HD7770 (with a QX9650 CPU) but the game I play is getting
more and more complex. Also apparently it's better optimised for nVidia
cards rather than ATI / AMD.

So I need an affordable card that doesn't draw (much) more power than the
HD7770 (~120w). Obviously it should be considerably more powerful than the
now quite old HD7770. I can't afford the latest gaming cards nor can I
afford to replace my PSU. I'd even consider a second-hand card if there's
something that's likely to fit my needs and price bracket.

Thanks in advance for reccomendations. I'm quite out of touch with GPU
development lately.
--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

VanguardLH[_2_] February 6th 18 10:45 AM

misfit wrote:

I'm running an ATI HD7770 (with a QX9650 CPU) but the game I play is getting
more and more complex. Also apparently it's better optimised for nVidia
cards rather than ATI / AMD.

So I need an affordable card that doesn't draw (much) more power than the
HD7770 (~120w). Obviously it should be considerably more powerful than the
now quite old HD7770. I can't afford the latest gaming cards nor can I
afford to replace my PSU. I'd even consider a second-hand card if there's
something that's likely to fit my needs and price bracket.

Thanks in advance for reccomendations. I'm quite out of touch with GPU
development lately.

You never mentioned the game.

https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

Enter the game to see what specs it requires. If you select a game,
there's another "Can you run it" button that downloads an inventorying
tool. It uploads what hardware you have to their site and thereafter
when you pick a game the site will tell you if your hardware meets
minimum, recommended, optimal requirements for that game on your
hardware.

Paul[_28_] February 6th 18 02:42 PM

~misfit~ wrote:
I'm running an ATI HD7770 (with a QX9650 CPU) but the game I play is getting
more and more complex. Also apparently it's better optimised for nVidia
cards rather than ATI / AMD.

So I need an affordable card that doesn't draw (much) more power than the
HD7770 (~120w). Obviously it should be considerably more powerful than the
now quite old HD7770. I can't afford the latest gaming cards nor can I
afford to replace my PSU. I'd even consider a second-hand card if there's
something that's likely to fit my needs and price bracket.

Thanks in advance for reccomendations. I'm quite out of touch with GPU
development lately.

Coin mining (Ethereum) has wiped out both the used
market and the new market. Bitcoin, on the other hand, is
done with AntMiners (ASIC).

The computer store has poor stock levels on a number of cards.
They did have good stock on just one card... selling for $600 CDN.

And there's an additional development. Cards with VGA connectors
have disappeared. The DVI connector on the video card is
DVI-D, so there's no longer DVI-I either. To get a VGA output,
you have to buy an additional DisplayPort to VGA adapter.
Even if you were after a bargain card (a $50 card selling for
$145 CDN), you'd have the added insult of throwing an adapter
cost on top of it.

It's a *hell* of a good time to be buying a video card.

*******

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

Radeon HD 7770 2,208

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 13,774 Too much power up here... 250W
Radeon RX Vega 64 11,709 And too expensive ($1000 ???) 295W+
You can't get those anyway...
Unobtainium.

GeForce GTX 1070 11,076 150W *Wikipedia
GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 8,809 120W *Wikipedia $400CDN 3GB $530CDN 6GB
Radeon RX580 6,939 185W *Wikipedia
Radeon RX 570 6,785 150W *Wikipedia
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 5,827

Radeon RX560 4,498 80W *Wikipedia $350 (the one for $230 unavailable)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Radeon_500_series

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_10_series

A GTX 1060 3GB isn't much good for coin mining, as the
memory footprint for Ethereum is currently 3GB. The
GTX 1060 6GB card should be in higher demand.

I have no idea what the texture memory footprint on modern
games is. I haven't played a 3D game in a couple years.

The largest memory on video cards, comes with things like
a Frontier Edition card, at around 16GB. So that's the
largest texture memory you can get. Or Coin Mining memory,
as your preferences dictate.

I bet a few people in the gaming industry are ****ed, as
it kinda puts a damper on their market. This will have the
unintended consequence of people walking away from gaming,
since they can't get a decent card.

A couple developments are on the memory front. Time was,
you put crappy (regular) DDR2 or DDR3 memory on the low end
cards. You put GDDR5 on the mid-range and up cards. Now,
the industry seems to have dumped DDR3 and the cards all
seem to have GDDR5.

On the other hand, cards like VEGA 64, have an HBM2 memory
stack, inside the GPU package. This means there are *no* memory
chips clamshelled and distributed around the GPU. The video cards
are still long, but underneath, the space is taken by power
converters. And the space above, perhaps by a vapor chamber
and multiple fans (in an attempt to keep the GPU cool). The
designs are really lunacy now. And by using HBM2, with limited
supplies of HBM2, they're shooting themselves in the foot.

So two memory developments, the concentration on GDDR5 and
the introduction of HBM2 and silicon substrates+MCM packaging,
are making a shambles out of video card production. Meanwhile,
the claim is (I don't believe it), that memory makers are
switching to making Flash. I instead believe there's a lot
of supply manipulation going on, to raise prices. Just
as local grocery stores here were caught price fixing...
bread. Of all things. Bread. Bread has been a favorite
of this kinda crap - you can find references to a hundred
years ago, to the manipulation of bread. It's a historical
tradition. If you're not manipulating the price of bread,
what the hell kind of businessman are you, anyway ? :-/

Paul

~misfit~[_16_] February 7th 18 03:38 AM

Once upon a time on usenet VanguardLH wrote:
misfit wrote:

[...]

For a reason - the developers claim it'll run on a 'potato' - which it will
if you don't mind cartoons.

It's Path of Exile, a game produced by a small New Zealand company.

~misfit~[_16_] February 7th 18 04:29 AM

Once upon a time on usenet Paul wrote:
~misfit~ wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the reply Paul. It seems that the GeForce GTX 1060 3GB would be
good for my needs. However at ~NZ$480 and up it's a bit out of my reach
currently (and likely for the forseeable future). I'll have to stick with
the HD 7770 for a while longer and play with all options at minimum (or
turned off).

I was hoping that the development of technology would have made it more
affordable to get a reasonable graphics card...

[...]

Hehee! I couldn't agree more.

Ever since I've been messing around with computers (more than 20 years) it
seems that high-end gaming cards have been ~NZ$1,000 and up, midrange cards
have been ~NZ$500 and 'entry level gaming' cards with have been ~NZ$250.
It's almost like the sellers see no reason to reduce those price levels.

I see that the GTX 1050 is available locally for less than NZ$300 but at
4,466 passmark score it's not hugely powerful. That said it's twice the HD
7770s score and only 75w....

Thanks for giving me a headstart on the subject. Financially the GTX 1050 is
my only option now or in the near future. I'll think on it, normally I won't
upgrade unless the new card is at least twice as powerful. The 1050 just
squeaks in.

~misfit~[_16_] February 7th 18 04:36 AM

misfit wrote:

[...]

Path of Exile: Atlas of Worlds *min* sys req:
CPU: x86 compatible 1.4GHz
RAM: 2GB
Video Card: NVidia 7800GT

Yeah right! Maybe if you're happy with 20 fpm.

Even with everything turned down to the minimum my QX9650 w 8GB RAM / HD
7770 idles at ~30 fps but drops below 10 fps at times. If I enable shadows
and antialiasing at the lowest settings it sometimes drops to 2 fps for
short periods. Seriously.

Cheers,

VanguardLH[_2_] February 7th 18 04:49 AM

misfit wrote:

VanguardLH wrote:

misfit wrote:

[...]

https://www.systemrequirementslab.co...of-exile/11575

Well, does your PC qualify? Those are minimum requirements. Since no
recommended or optimal requirements are listed, tis likely the game
author didn't specify those hardware levels. Your HD 7770 looks more
than capable enough for that game.

https://techreport.com/review/22473/...-ghz-edition/2

That's just for Path of Exile. There are 4 games with that base title
name. They didn't list the latest expansion but the one before it yet
that has requirements much lower than what you have for a video card.
You didn't mention your other hardware specs, like system RAM, mass
storage (HDD or SDD, make and model). While their minimum reqs are
lower than your CPU (QX9650), that's probably the choke point in your
hardware setup. My Q9400 2.66GHz limits me from playing some of the
latest games. Your CPU is a little faster than mine (both are quad
cores) but probably won't make much difference in gaming. Yet both CPUs
are far above what is listed as the minimum reqs for the base game and
its expansions.

So what is the maximum resolution and refresh for your monitor? The OS
is going to query the monitor (if supported) to get its specs and try to
get the video driver to use the native resolution of an LCD/LED monitor.
Maybe you've got a huge monitor and are trying to run the game at that
same resolution. Tis likely you don't need to run the game at that
large of a resolution and could go smaller which would up the FPS.
There might be other game configs that you've overdone. Maybe you went
to 4AA but maybe that's overkill for this game. If the game has a test
tool to select the optimal settings, start with those and then inch up
until you dislike the artificats in the video play quality.

VanguardLH[_2_] February 7th 18 04:51 AM

misfit wrote:

[...]

Tried booting in Windows safe mode to get rid of all the startup
programs to test the game? How much free system RAM is there before you
play the game? You certainly don't want the game thrashing to slow disk
cache (pagefile) to play the game. Make it so the OS is only playing
the game to see how the game behaves in a clean[er] environment.

~misfit~[_16_] February 8th 18 02:40 AM

misfit wrote:

VanguardLH wrote:

misfit wrote:

[...]

Yes - or I wouldn't be seeking advice, I'd be doing other things first.

Those are minimum requirements. Since no
recommended or optimal requirements are listed, tis likely the game
author didn't specify those hardware levels.

I did say that the game's developers like the public to think that it will
run on a 'potato'.

Your HD 7770 looks more
than capable enough for that game.

https://techreport.com/review/22473/...-ghz-edition/2

That's just for Path of Exile. There are 4 games with that base title
name. They didn't list the latest expansion but the one before it yet
that has requirements much lower than what you have for a video card.

Those are the expansions. The latest is War for the Atlas.

You didn't mention your other hardware specs, like system RAM, mass
storage (HDD or SDD, make and model).

I mentioned most of it in another post. I'm using a Samsung 840 EVO 120GB
SSD for OS, swapfile and the game with several multi-terrabyte spinners for
storage.

While their minimum reqs are
lower than your CPU (QX9650), that's probably the choke point in your
hardware setup.

If it were I wouldn't be asking for GPU advice. (I've been building and
upgrading PCs for over 20 years and posting here intermittantly for all of
that time. I've been running hardware monitoring during game play and the
game peaks during the most intense parts at 55% CPU.

If the CPU started to become a limit I'd overclock it as I've had this CPU
as high as 4GHz stable (with a small vcore increase) without touching vcore
and it runs at either 3.66GHz when changing the multiplier from 9x to 11x or
3.6GHz just chaging the FSB to 400 and leaving the multiplier at 9x.

My Q9400 2.66GHz limits me from playing some of the
latest games. Your CPU is a little faster than mine (both are quad
cores) but probably won't make much difference in gaming.

My 12MB L2 cache helps the CPU quite a bit. Other than that and clock speed
the CPUs are almost identical.

Yet both
CPUs are far above what is listed as the minimum reqs for the base
game and its expansions.

Yep - and as I mentioned the CPU isn't a bottleneck, mostly running at
around 30% in general gameplay peaking at just over 50% for the most intense
stuff.

So what is the maximum resolution and refresh for your monitor? The
OS is going to query the monitor (if supported) to get its specs and
try to get the video driver to use the native resolution of an
LCD/LED monitor. Maybe you've got a huge monitor and are trying to
run the game at that same resolution. Tis likely you don't need to
run the game at that large of a resolution and could go smaller which
would up the FPS.

That's not an issue. This monitor's an old Acer X223W (TN / 1680 x 1050 /
16:10 / LED backlit). I'd like to upgrade in the near future. That said I
run the game windowed at 1664 x 962 so that I can see the AIDA 64 EE / GPU-Z
numbers in systray (as well as the taskbar for email notifications etc.).

There might be other game configs that you've
overdone. Maybe you went to 4AA but maybe that's overkill for this
game. If the game has a test tool to select the optimal settings,
start with those and then inch up until you dislike the artificats in
the video play quality.

As mentioned in my other reply lately I've been playing with all in-game
adjustable settings at 'off' or as low as possible (AA set to off). I've
even set the game to DX9 mode (it also has DX11 mode which includes a trick
optional resolution scaling if FPS drops below a selectable minimum).
However DX9 mode is slightly better for FPS. Apparently it's possible to do
some registry tweaking to get it to run on even more basic hardware but
rather than go that far I'd prefer to get a better GPU.

~misfit~[_16_] February 8th 18 02:51 AM

misfit wrote:

[...]

I don't think I need to. (This is a hardware group yeah? g)

How much free system RAM is there before
you play the game?

Around 6GB typically.

You certainly don't want the game thrashing to
slow disk cache (pagefile) to play the game.

No I don't - though my disk cache is on an SSD.

Make it so the OS is
only playing the game to see how the game behaves in a clean[er]
environment.

There is no issue with RAM being limited as even with a few things running
in the background I have a couple GB free (and the game always uses between
1 and 3GB regardless of what may also be running).

I've checked with the games subreddit and consensus is that I need a better
GPU. However when it comes to *what* GPU would be suitable for me the signal
to noise ratio there becomes unacceptable as fan boys start pushing their
wheelbarrows and people don't seem to understand that a US$250 card (at one
of those on-line places there) would cost me over NZ$600.

Hence the post here. I already knew that I needed a new(er) GPU - and an
NVidia GPU. I just didn't know what GPU would suit my budget and wanted
advice.

Cheers,