HardwareBanter

-   Asus Motherboards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   P4C800-E Deluxe and BFG GeForce 6800 Ultra OC graphics card (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=33149)

Mark Cee June 23rd 04 07:15 AM

P4C800-E Deluxe and BFG GeForce 6800 Ultra OC graphics card

I've got a P4C800-E Deluxe MoBo on order and was thinking of purchasing a
BFG GeForce 6800 Ultra OC graphics card. I understand that this card will
use up two PCI slots and I'm a little confused by what I've read. Am I
correct in understanding that this card uses the AGP slot and adjacent PCI1
slot, and if so, is that merely due to the width of the card (in which case
a PCI slot is "wasted") or does it actually physically use both of those
slots?

Mark

Paul June 23rd 04 07:34 AM

In article , wrote:

I've got a P4C800-E Deluxe MoBo on order and was thinking of purchasing a
BFG GeForce 6800 Ultra OC graphics card. I understand that this card will
use up two PCI slots and I'm a little confused by what I've read. Am I
correct in understanding that this card uses the AGP slot and adjacent PCI1
slot, and if so, is that merely due to the width of the card (in which case
a PCI slot is "wasted") or does it actually physically use both of those
slots?

Mark

Looking at the picture on the web site, it looks like the two slots
are used because of the size of the cooling solution. With the water
block, the hose connections and hoses will have a bending radius
to prevent the hose from being pinched, so that will take some
room. There isn't a good reason for the card to actually use
the PCI slot. The air cooled card has a pretty thick HSF assembly
too.

Paul

Mark Cee June 28th 04 05:24 AM

That's kind of the impression I was under, thanks.

Mark