HardwareBanter

-   Ati Videocards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   CAT 8.10 driver released yesterday (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=172955)

Rotten Ronny October 16th 08 12:42 PM

CAT 8.10 driver released yesterday

This driver has fan control.

http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.HTML

Jan Arkesteijn October 20th 08 08:10 AM

CAT 8.10 driver released yesterday

"Rotten Ronny" schreef in bericht
This driver has fan control.

http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.HTML

Hi RR
Triggered by your message I downloaded and installed the
Catalyst 8.10 for my club 3d 4850 on a A8N-SLI with AMD 3500+

The good news is that with manual fan control set to 50 %
the idle temp goes from 79 degr Celsius to 52 degr Celsius
while temp under load keeps below 60

The bad news is that it keeps crashing my computer when
running Flight Simullator 9.1
So I went back to Catalyst 8.9 and no crashing anymore
but very high GPU temps again :-(

See you, Jan

Rod at Orpheusmail October 21st 08 10:16 AM

CAT 8.10 driver released yesterday

In article ,
Rotten Ronny wrote:

This driver has fan control.
http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.HTML

Followed this up but here wasn't a driver available for my card - a Sapphire
HD2600 Pro AGP. There was one for XP Professional Radeon HD2600 (PCIe) but
not for AGP.
So, the question is ... what driver should I use?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Rod

First of One[_2_] October 21st 08 11:41 PM

CAT 8.10 driver released yesterday

Interestingly, all drivers Cat 8.9 and up fail to detect my X1900XT
Crossfire cable about half the time at bootup. Cat 8.8 works just fine.
Looks like the Quad CrossfireX overclocking introduced in 8.9 broke
something...

Rotten Ronny October 23rd 08 05:02 PM

"Jan Arkesteijn" wrote in message
The bad news is that it keeps crashing my computer when
running Flight Simullator 9.1

I have FS9 but haven't tried to run it since installing 8.10. Will try it
later and see what's up.

Rotten Ronny October 23rd 08 05:08 PM

"Rod at Orpheusmail" wrote in message
Followed this up but here wasn't a driver available for my card - a
Sapphire
HD2600 Pro AGP. There was one for XP Professional Radeon HD2600 (PCIe) but
not for AGP.
So, the question is ... what driver should I use?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Rod

The ATI drivers for Radeon cards are supposed to be backwards compatible so
I would just download the one that says 8.10 for any card. 2600PCIE will do
but it should be exactly the same as the one for 4870.

Rod at Orpheusmail October 24th 08 09:56 AM

Rotten Ronny wrote:
Rod at Orpheusmail wrote in message

Followed this up but here wasn't a driver available for my card - a
Sapphire HD2600 Pro AGP. There was one for XP Professional Radeon HD2600
(PCIe) but not for AGP.

So, the question is ... what driver should I use?
Any help would be much appreciated.

The ATI drivers for Radeon cards are supposed to be backwards compatible so
I would just download the one that says 8.10 for any card. 2600PCIE will do
but it should be exactly the same as the one for 4870.

Thanks. I'll try that.

Kind regards,
Rod

First of One[_2_] October 25th 08 07:07 PM

CAT 8.10 driver released yesterday

X1900XT and X1950XT cards use an external cable. The cable is pretty secure.
Because Cat 8.8 and earlier drivers don't present the same error, and games
show the expected performance increase for dual GPUs, I don't think it's a
loose or bad cable. The new way the Cat 8.9+ drivers detect Crossfire
probably is the culprit. There may be some race condition where the slave
card doesn't get initialized as quickly.

In another month or so I will be replacing the cards with a single 55nm
GTX290. I am going to avoid SLI/Crossfire setups - too much "babysitting"
needed to make sure they work/scale in all games.

"me/2" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 18:41:14 -0400, "First of One"
wrote:

:Interestingly, all drivers Cat 8.9 and up fail to detect my X1900XT
:Crossfire cable about half the time at bootup. Cat 8.8 works just fine.
:Looks like the Quad CrossfireX overclocking introduced in 8.9 broke
:something...

Do those use an external Xfire connection or internal? I've got 2
X1950Pro cards with the internal bridges in one of my computers and
I've had no issues with either 8.9 or 8.10.

Possibly a failing or loose cable?

me/2

Tony DiMarzio October 26th 08 06:37 PM

CAT 8.10 driver released yesterday

GTX290 eh? No love for the 4870 or 4870 X2?

I hear the crossfire implementation in the x2 is completely transparent.
Personally, I'll be picking up a 4870 (not an X2) pretty soon.

Tony