HardwareBanter

-   Asus Motherboards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   wake up on lan request (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=29480)

Patrick Phillips December 5th 03 12:02 PM

wake up on lan request

In article ,
says...
I have PCI wake-up option enabled in my bios (latest version) but nothing
happens. I have a wireless network mounted at my home, with a router to
share an Internet connection between this Desktop PC with ASUS A7N8X mobo
and a
notebook.

Everything is OK. The internet is accessible by both computers, and I can
share files between them BUT I MUST POWER ON THEM MANUALY.

Yesterday I tried to wake up my desktop computer by making a Remote Desktop
Connection in my notebook, but it didn't wake up.

what's wrong ?

thanks

Hi, besides BIOS setting to on, check that windows is also enabled in
Device Manager, from right click My Computer, select Properties, then
Hardware tab, then click Devices Manager button, look for Network Adapters,
click to expand the tree and your brand of NIC should show, so double click
on it and select Power Management tab, check the box[s] to allow this
device to bring the PC out of standby...or whatever it says.

--
Patrick in IL. Starband Satellite
XP Pro, 360 modem, Mission Control 4.0.0.23

Kyle Brant December 5th 03 01:11 PM

Often times, a WOL header is present on a MOBO for connection to a PCI
NIC card, and the onboard NIC will not respond to WOL b/c it requires
that the chipset receive power at all times (from the Standby voltage
circuit) and doing so would require the chipset to have 2 different
power connections. I have not checked my a7n8x to see whether this is
the case, but this WAS true with my SIS735 chipset based mobo (ECS
k7s5a). Also, usually a "magic packet" transmission program is
required to wakeup a computer via a network connection, depends on the
NIC.

--
Best regards,
Kyle

David Shorthouse December 5th 03 09:34 PM

I don't know of a single wireless NIC that has WOL capabilities, i.e.
maintains the 5v connection for this to work. If you think about it, this
makes sense because the card has to be able to filter out all other radio
signals for a correct wake-up signal.

Dave

David Shorthouse December 6th 03 06:09 AM

I don't know of a single wireless NIC that has WOL capabilities, i.e.
maintains the 5v connection for this to work. If you think about it, this
makes sense because the card has to be able to filter out all other radio
signals for a correct wake-up signal.

Dave

I believe the Linksys LNE100TX does.

That one wireless? I have a LNE100TX wired NIC and yes, you're right, WOL
works just fine.

Dave