HardwareBanter

-   -   6800gt & DVI widescreen ? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=54484)

Louis van Abeelen July 12th 04 08:15 AM

6800gt & DVI widescreen ?

Hi All,

I'm thinking about upgrading my ATI8500 to an Albatron Geforce 6800GT.

One thing that I am not certain about is widescreen support via DVI.

The reason I bought my current ATI was the fact that it could drive my
Silicon Graphics 1600sw flatpannel at it's native 1600x1024 resolution
(@60Hz)

Can anyone confirm if the 6800GT supports wide-screen resolutions up to
1600x1024 ?

Thx,

Louis

+c0re- July 12th 04 08:50 PM

Not sure if this answers your question, but I have a 6800GT in my system
now, I'm running it on a CRT monitor. Here are a few of the higher
resolutions I can select in display properties:

1280 x 960

1360 x 768

1600 x 900

1600 x 1024

hope this helps, I've been incredibly pleased with this card since I got it.

Louis van Abeelen July 12th 04 10:38 PM

Thank for your reply. (what brand did you buy ?)

Unfortunately the supported resolutions via analogue (i.e. CRT) don't say
much about what is supported via digital DVI out.

Without getting into detail it has to do with the bandwith of the so-called
TMDS transmitter chip and/or the way resolution/refresh information is
detected by the driver.

I have read some reactions of 6800GT users that faced 1280x1024 limitations
on DVI out.

Any owners of the Albatron 6800gt ?
Anyone succesfully using widescreen and/or 1600x1024 resolutions via DVI on
an 6800gt ?

regards,

Louis

Jean July 13th 04 12:28 AM

It seem the answer is NO...

read the thread here..

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread....edc& t=774829

Jeff B July 13th 04 04:44 AM

Louis van Abeelen wrote:
Hi All,

I'm thinking about upgrading my ATI8500 to an Albatron Geforce 6800GT.

One thing that I am not certain about is widescreen support via DVI.

The reason I bought my current ATI was the fact that it could drive my
Silicon Graphics 1600sw flatpannel at it's native 1600x1024 resolution
(@60Hz)

Can anyone confirm if the 6800GT supports wide-screen resolutions up to
1600x1024 ?

I'm running my 6800u (BFG6800u) at 1920x1200 via the DVI port.

Jeff B

Louis van Abeelen July 13th 04 07:48 AM

Jeff,

Thanks for your reply.

If I'm correct the 6800u has dual DVI ports, one using an internal- and one
using an external TMDS transmitter.
Could you please check if these resolutions work on both ?

I'm asking because most 6800gt implementations have only one DVI out using
the internal TMDS transmitter.

Thx,

Louis

Louis van Abeelen July 13th 04 07:55 AM

Thx for the reply Jean,

Reading that thread it starts very negative but there seems to be a light at
the end of the tunnel.
Consensus is that 6800gt cards are capable of outputting 1600x1200 via DVI
out but that there are some issues with non-standard/widescreen resolutions
that are driver related (and can be solved).

regards,

Louis

.. .

Louis van Abeelen July 13th 04 08:05 AM

Got the following reaction from nVidia (meaning YES):

**DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL---NVIDIA WILL NOT RECEIVE YOUR REPLY**

Dear Louis van Abeelen,

Yes, the Geforce 6800GT can support a digital resolution of 1600x1024
digitally at 60Hz.

Regards,
NVIDIA Technical Support

**DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL---NVIDIA WILL NOT RECEIVE YOUR REPLY**

.. .