HardwareBanter

-   Homebuilt PC's (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Quick Question (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=20960)

Matt August 24th 04 02:34 PM

Quick Question

A friend of mine gave me his old internal 7 in 1 card reader but my Dell
doesn't have an internal USB 4 pin plug. Is there an adapter that will
take the flat 4 pin female plug from the reader to a normal USB plug? I
tried to find a USB controller card with an internal plug like the one
on a mobo but apparently they don't exist (or I just don't know where to
look), all I can seem to find are ones with a normal USB plug.

David Maynard August 24th 04 03:54 PM

Matt wrote:

A friend of mine gave me his old internal 7 in 1 card reader but my Dell
doesn't have an internal USB 4 pin plug. Is there an adapter that will
take the flat 4 pin female plug from the reader to a normal USB plug? I
tried to find a USB controller card with an internal plug like the one
on a mobo but apparently they don't exist (or I just don't know where to
look), all I can seem to find are ones with a normal USB plug.

http://www.pricewatch.com

search string... USB controller card internal

First hit,

ETT (Controller Cards)

Details:
-(4 external and 2 internal) 2 Extra Internal USB port that connects to
Front Case Panel

Except they lie about it. The one they describe costs 'extra'.

Still, it's $7.99 (free shipping), plus whatever other options, like "full
retail" being another $1.99, you want.

http://www.dvcentury.com/Merchant2/m...y_Code=USBCard

Shawk August 24th 04 04:58 PM

Matt wrote:

[...]

The one David pointed out has the internal pins to connect a front panel OR
your 7 in 1. Its probably easier however to just buy a USB 7 in 1 reader
that plugs into an existing USB port. Mine cost £7 GBP. Shaun

Matt August 24th 04 05:01 PM

Matt wrote:

The one David pointed out has the internal pins to connect a front

panel OR
your 7 in 1. Its probably easier however to just buy a USB 7 in 1

reader
that plugs into an existing USB port. Mine cost £7 GBP. Shaun

ahh sorry about that, I was just going by what I saw in the picture and
it looked like all the others I had seen. I see now that I needed to be
looking for one with front ports for case panels. I would just get
another card reader but I don't have any free USB ports on my computer
so I thought a free reader along with a $10 USB PCI card would be nice.

Shawk August 24th 04 05:36 PM

"Matt" wrote in message

Matt wrote:

The one David pointed out has the internal pins to connect a front

panel OR
your 7 in 1. Its probably easier however to just buy a USB 7 in 1

reader
that plugs into an existing USB port. Mine cost £7 GBP. Shaun

ahh sorry about that, I was just going by what I saw in the picture and
it looked like all the others I had seen. I see now that I needed to be
looking for one with front ports for case panels. I would just get
another card reader but I don't have any free USB ports on my computer
so I thought a free reader along with a $10 USB PCI card would be nice.

Hope you get what you want - these card readers are a godsend. Good thing
about my portable one is that I can plug it into several PC's to swap large
files such as multimedia-rich presentations, movies, demo's etc. I treat my
media cards like extremely large floppies - largest I have at the moment is
a 500MB one - my first PC had a hard-drive smaller than that!! Shaun

David Maynard August 25th 04 06:40 AM

Matt wrote:

but doesn't this one just have a standard USB input on the back? I need
the same sort of input found on a motherboard... just the bare pins

10'th item on the list of features

8 Ports (4 External Ports + 2 Internal Ports +

----- 2 Front Ports for case panel -----

Those should be like the motherboard headers that are for front panel ports.