HardwareBanter

-   -   What card to get next? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=51671)

SlicK the original November 3rd 03 07:09 PM

What card to get next?

I currently have a Creative 64mb GF3-TI500.
512mb ddr
AMD - 2400
Scores 8800 in Futuremark

It works fine in everything, but is just starting to struggle in games with
the res set to 1024x768 - 32 bit
I bought a 256mb - 5600 Ultra and it scored 9000. It went straight back to
the shop.
Any other recommendations, or should I wait and get a 59**?

cheers
SlicK

jeffc November 3rd 03 07:22 PM

"SlicK the original" wrote in message
I currently have a Creative 64mb GF3-TI500.
512mb ddr
AMD - 2400
Scores 8800 in Futuremark

It works fine in everything, but is just starting to struggle in games

with
the res set to 1024x768 - 32 bit
I bought a 256mb - 5600 Ultra and it scored 9000. It went straight back to
the shop.
Any other recommendations, or should I wait and get a 59**?

What about the ATI Radeon 9500 Pro? There was a recent article in Maximum
PC that touted a sort of performance problem with the latest nVidia cards
relative to ATI, purported by both John Carmack of id and Valve co., makers
of the upcoming Half Life 2.

phobos November 3rd 03 11:02 PM

SlicK the original wrote:
I currently have a Creative 64mb GF3-TI500.
512mb ddr
AMD - 2400
Scores 8800 in Futuremark

It works fine in everything, but is just starting to struggle in games with
the res set to 1024x768 - 32 bit
I bought a 256mb - 5600 Ultra and it scored 9000. It went straight back to
the shop.
Any other recommendations, or should I wait and get a 59**?

cheers
SlicK

A good all around upgrade would be the FX 5700U. It's faster than a
9600XT in most cases and has a very good price/performance ratio. It
scores significantly better than the 5600's and has a much better core
revision (.13 process out of the IBM fab's).

I'm in the same sort of situation with a highly overclocked TI200
looking for something to upgrade to with the same value I got from the
GF3 TI series. I'm thinking about the 5700U more and more now.

If you're concerned about benchmarking the system as a whole, you might
consider a mobo upgrade and overclocking the holy hell out of that XP.

Shawk November 4th 03 12:01 AM

"phobos" wrote in message
SlicK the original wrote:
[...]

Your card is still pretty good and will wait another month or three. Wait
for the next gen games and pick a card that plays these well. Only then
will we know who was right in the ATI/Nvidia furore.

neopolaris November 4th 03 06:49 AM

Hello

Shawk wrote:
"phobos" wrote in message
SlicK the original wrote:
[...]

I agree. I just broke 10,000 in 3DMark01 with a ti200. So the card can't
be THAT bad. Mobo/cpu is pretty important.
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7174692

neopolaris

Darthy November 4th 03 09:06 AM

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 01:49:48 -0500, "neopolaris" . wrote:

Your card is still pretty good and will wait another month or three.
Wait for the next gen games and pick a card that plays these well.
Only then will we know who was right in the ATI/Nvidia furore.

I agree. I just broke 10,000 in 3DMark01 with a ti200. So the card can't
be THAT bad. Mobo/cpu is pretty important.
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7174692

Same here... but a Ti4200 can do that without overclocking and less
CPU power :)

But in the real world, the GF4-TI is nothing more than a FASTER GF3...
The $185 Ti4200 (org price) totally smoked the $400 GF3-Ti500 ;)

GF4-Ti has improvced FS/AA abilities over the GF3, and the GF5 is a
lot better than the GF4 in AA/etc.... even if its a slower card.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!