HardwareBanter

-   Gigabyte Motherboards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   8KNXP Memory Suggestions Please (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=38019)

Mikey Spike April 8th 04 02:08 AM

8KNXP Memory Suggestions Please

Just got a 8KNXP Rev 2.0 MB, and wanted some opinions on memory for
this board. I will not be OC'ing, just want FAST but MORE importantly
STABLE RAM. From the posts I have been reading this MB seems somewhat
snooty about the brand and speed of memory. Will be getting a matched
pair for 1GB total RAM. Any suggestions pros and cons appreciated,
also tips on board setting for stability for the RAM.

Thanks

Stephen Williams April 8th 04 03:36 AM

"Mikey Spike" wrote in message
Just got a 8KNXP Rev 2.0 MB, and wanted some opinions on memory for
this board. I will not be OC'ing, just want FAST but MORE importantly
STABLE RAM. From the posts I have been reading this MB seems somewhat
snooty about the brand and speed of memory. Will be getting a matched
pair for 1GB total RAM. Any suggestions pros and cons appreciated,
also tips on board setting for stability for the RAM.

Thanks

I've used AData, and also PQI branded generic RAM in my 8KNXP with no
problems at all.

Steve

Orhan April 8th 04 07:40 AM

Mikey Spike wrote in message . ..
Just got a 8KNXP Rev 2.0 MB, and wanted some opinions on memory for
this board. I will not be OC'ing, just want FAST but MORE importantly
STABLE RAM. From the posts I have been reading this MB seems somewhat
snooty about the brand and speed of memory. Will be getting a matched
pair for 1GB total RAM. Any suggestions pros and cons appreciated,
also tips on board setting for stability for the RAM.

Thanks

I have Kingston PC3200 DDR RAM (2x256MB) running without any problem.
They are very stable with +0.1V DIMM Overvoltage set in BIOS.

Orhan

MTech April 8th 04 02:16 PM

"Mikey Spike" wrote in message
Just got a 8KNXP Rev 2.0 MB, and wanted some opinions on memory for
this board. I will not be OC'ing, just want FAST but MORE importantly
STABLE RAM. From the posts I have been reading this MB seems somewhat
snooty about the brand and speed of memory. Will be getting a matched
pair for 1GB total RAM. Any suggestions pros and cons appreciated,
also tips on board setting for stability for the RAM.

I bought some "cheap" kingmax from newegg this time around...USUALLY I only
run Mushkin. I am VERY impressed with the kingmax so far. It's PC3500 2.5
and I'm clocking it pretty hard right now and it's been NO
trouble........paid about 200 bucks for a gig.

dv

Dave.US April 10th 04 05:18 AM

Can I run memory with wider bandwidth on the 8KNXP such as PC4000? I
realize it won't do me any good on this system, but I'm considering
buying upgraded RAM so I can put it in a future system w/o
repurchasing.

Dave

Kris Vorwerk April 12th 04 02:22 AM

Just got a 8KNXP Rev 2.0 MB, and wanted some opinions on memory for
this board. I will not be OC'ing, just want FAST but MORE importantly
STABLE RAM. From the posts I have been reading this MB seems somewhat
snooty about the brand and speed of memory. Will be getting a matched
pair for 1GB total RAM. Any suggestions pros and cons appreciated,
also tips on board setting for stability for the RAM.

I have an 8KNXP Rev 1.0. (I'm on my second -- first one got RMA'd
when it decided to die after 8 months of use.) I run OCZ PC3200 EL
Dual Channel RAM; c.f.,

http://www.ocztechnology.com/product...0_Dual_Channel

I have always run it with 2-6-3-2 timings, and both of my 8KNXP mobos
appeared to be quite stable with these timings. (I use a +0.1 DIMM
overvoltage setting, but have not overclocked the cpu/fsb.)

-kris

Dave.US April 15th 04 12:50 AM

How do you set the timings on teh 8KNXP Rev 2 motherboard? I tried
the control-F1 sequence, but it does not get me into any advanced
features in the bios settings.

Also, how do you get your PC3200 memory to run at 400 mhz? Mine shows
a 266 option and a 333 option in the bios settings.

Thanks,
Dave