HardwareBanter

-   -   VIVO won't capture correctly after a minute? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=144653)

Edward January 28th 07 05:19 AM

VIVO won't capture correctly after a minute?

When trying to capture video from an analog source, through the
composite or S-video ports, it starts dropping frames and slowing
down.
I know my PC is powerful enough with a 3.4 Ghz Pensium and a gig of
ram. Even if I reduce the wuality to 300 lines its still crappy. I
am using version 4.13 of the WDM driver with the same results.
My video card is an MSI GF7600gt.

What's going on?

DaveW January 28th 07 11:55 PM

VIVO won't capture correctly after a minute?

To capture video to a computer you CANNOT use just a standard video card.
You have to install a special video capture card that are widely available.

--
DaveW

----------------
ups.com...

DRS January 29th 07 03:44 AM

VIVO won't capture correctly after a minute?

"DaveW" wrote in message

"Edward" wrote in message
ups.com...
When trying to capture video from an analog source, through the
composite or S-video ports, it starts dropping frames and slowing
down.
I know my PC is powerful enough with a 3.4 Ghz Pensium and a gig of
ram. Even if I reduce the wuality to 300 lines its still crappy. I
am using version 4.13 of the WDM driver with the same results.
My video card is an MSI GF7600gt.

What's going on?

To capture video to a computer you CANNOT use just a standard video
card. You have to install a special video capture card that are
widely available.

Do you know what VIVO means? Free clue: the "V" is for...

Paul January 29th 07 06:01 AM

Edward wrote:
When trying to capture video from an analog source, through the
composite or S-video ports, it starts dropping frames and slowing
down.
I know my PC is powerful enough with a 3.4 Ghz Pensium and a gig of
ram. Even if I reduce the wuality to 300 lines its still crappy. I
am using version 4.13 of the WDM driver with the same results.
My video card is an MSI GF7600gt.

What's going on?

If you preview without capturing, is there still a problem ?

If you capture without a preview window being present, does it drop frames ?

Are there any messages in Event Viewer ? Any error messages ?

If you open up Task Manager with ctrl-alt-delete and use the
Performance tab, is there anything strange you see there,
while previewing and capturing ?

The time period of a minute, suggests RAM is
exhausted. And that is why I want you to look at the
Performance tab, just to see if there is anything
visibly bad there.

Paul

Edward January 29th 07 06:20 AM

On Jan 28, 6:55 pm, "DaveW" wrote:
To capture video to a computer you CANNOT use just a standard video card.
You have to install a special video capture card that are widely available.

--

you are incorrect.

I only get video cards with VIVO, and this has an analog video in.

Also, one doesn't need a "card" per se, but there are USB video
capture devices all over the place as well.

Edward January 29th 07 06:22 AM

On Jan 29, 1:01 am, Paul wrote:
Edward wrote:
[...]

That's what I was thinking - RAM.
But why would it happen even when I cap at 320? that shoul dbarely
take up any RAM at all.

This didn't happen with my crappy little USB video capture - I think
it was made by IREZ or something.

I'll check the system monitor andlet you know.

Phil Weldon January 29th 07 07:34 AM

'Edward' wrote, in part:
| This didn't happen with my crappy little USB video capture - I think
| it was made by IREZ or something.
|
| I'll check the system monitor andlet you know.
_____

Try 'Process Explorer' (free at http://www.sysinternals.com). 'Process
Explorer' will give you much more detail. The capture aids in VIVO cards do
not have hardware encoders... it very well may be that your USB capture
device had a hardware encoder, and thus gave better quality. You haven't
said what kind of compression and encoding you use with your VIVO, but
'Process Explorer' will show the bottleneck.

Phil Weldon

oups.com...

Mr.E Solved! January 29th 07 07:55 AM

DaveW wrote:
To capture video to a computer you CANNOT use just a standard video card.
You have to install a special video capture card that are widely available.

DaveW, I'm curious, what video card are you currently using?

Edward January 29th 07 03:06 PM

On Jan 29, 2:34 am, "Phil Weldon" wrote:
'Edward' wrote, in part:
| This didn't happen with my crappy little USB video capture - I think
| it was made by IREZ or something.
|
| I'll check the system monitor andlet you know.
_____

Try 'Process Explorer' (free athttp://www.sysinternals.com). 'Process
Explorer' will give you much more detail. The capture aids in VIVO cards do
not have hardware encoders... it very well may be that your USB capture
device had a hardware encoder, and thus gave better quality. You haven't
said what kind of compression and encoding you use with your VIVO, but
'Process Explorer' will show the bottleneck.

I was doing this for You tube... so the 300 line capture device was
fine. now I want to encode some old 8mm videos to DVD - hence I need
better quality.

I think it only happens with WIndows Movie Maker. I tried Virtualdub
with no compression and it appeared to work. I was runing late this
morning, so I had to check it and haul ass out the door. I hate my
job.
It was easier to capture uwing Moviemaker because it would compress it
ont he fly and I wouldn't have to import the video to You Tube it.
As we all know, once I have the HUGE uncompressed video, compressing
it into something else can take a looooooooong time. I wanted to
avoid that step. My end results were good enough for Youtube. When I
to to cap the 8mm video? I'll use Virtualdub with no compression. I
have a 30GB hard drive.
Now being able to capture with VD at full NTSC resolution... (720x480
that's going to be a problem. I don't think VD can do that.

ShutEye January 29th 07 07:39 PM

VIVO won't capture correctly after a minute?

To capture video to a computer you CANNOT use just a standard video card.
You have to install a special video capture card that are widely
available.

DaveW, I'm curious, what video card are you currently using?

Ask him about his medication instead