HardwareBanter

-   -   nVidia driver on OS/2 (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=117583)

Dustbin January 17th 06 09:40 PM

nVidia driver on OS/2

I found a generic nVidia driver for the RIVA 128
TNT chipset, that should have served my OS/2
system. When i tried to install it, it demanded
another disck which I did not (do not) have and
I don't understand what it is that is wanted.
The message simly asks that the disk with the
driver on by put in the drive.

I have got what appears to be the same driver
from the nVidia site and from Hobbes.

Anyone any idea what is going on here.

deimos January 18th 06 03:09 AM

nVidia driver on OS/2

Dustbin wrote:
I found a generic nVidia driver for the RIVA 128 TNT chipset, that
should have served my OS/2 system. When i tried to install it, it
demanded another disck which I did not (do not) have and I don't
understand what it is that is wanted. The message simly asks that the
disk with the driver on by put in the drive.

I have got what appears to be the same driver from the nVidia site and
from Hobbes.

Anyone any idea what is going on here.

I took a quick look at the README and it seems to want you to make an
install disk (yeah a floppy!). I don't know much about OS/2, but this
seems odd. Here's the README text:

-- begin --

OS/2 GRADD Video Device Driver for the Nvidia NV4

1. If system is not in VGA mode, it is recommended that install VGA mode
before driver installation.

2. Insert the "NVGRADD 1" diskette into drive A (or any other diskette
drive).

3. Open an OS/2 full-screen or OS/2 window session.

4. At the OS/2 command prompt, type the following command to copy
all necessary files to the OS/2 drive:

A:SETUP NV A:\ C:

where A: is the diskette drive.

Then press Enter.

5. Once file copy is complete, restart your computer. Make sure the
diskette has been removed from
the install drive.

NOTE: The installation diskette should be labeled "NVGRADD 1"
CID or unattended installation is available by utilizing the "/u"
option (ie.
setup NV /u).

** The GRADD driver requires Fixpack5 or greater for Warp4 (Merlin).
** The GRADD driver requires Fixpack37 or greater for Warp3.

-- end --

I would take a look at your labeling and see if that's the cause, it's
probably a very primitive installer.

Dustbin January 18th 06 08:57 AM

nVidia driver on OS/2

deimos wrote:
Dustbin wrote:

[...]

A:SETUP NV A:\ C:

where A: is the diskette drive.

Then press Enter.

5. Once file copy is complete, restart your computer. Make sure the
diskette has been removed from
the install drive.

NOTE: The installation diskette should be labeled "NVGRADD 1"
CID or unattended installation is available by utilizing the "/u"
option (ie.
setup NV /u).

** The GRADD driver requires Fixpack5 or greater for Warp4 (Merlin).
** The GRADD driver requires Fixpack37 or greater for Warp3.

-- end --

I would take a look at your labeling and see if that's the cause, it's
probably a very primitive installer.

I did read the install.txt file. It is not at
all clear quite what is wanted. Having unzipped
the files I put them on a floppy and ran the
setup.cmd file from there as idicated in the
install.txt file. The setup routine gets into
its act a little then demands that I insert
another floppy with the driver on it. There is
no indication in the install.txt file or on
either of the websites that I have got this file
(disk) from what this is.

D.

--
Women have spent the last

Benjamin Gawert January 18th 06 12:46 PM

nVidia driver on OS/2

Dustbin schrieb:

I found a generic nVidia driver for the RIVA 128 TNT chipset

There is no "Riva 128 TNT chipset" There is (was) a Riva128(ZX) and a
RivaTNT, both being totally different GPUs using totally different
drivers...

Benjamin