HardwareBanter

-   -   XFX 6800 replaces sapphire 9800 pro 128 (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=111424)

Lew/+Silat November 7th 05 06:06 AM

XFX 6800 replaces sapphire 9800 pro 128

Is it worth it to do this upgrade? Im not ready to jump to next puter with
pci E.

Lew/+Silat

p4 northwood 2.8 800fsb
1 gig ram
430 power

Scotter November 7th 05 03:37 PM

XFX 6800 replaces sapphire 9800 pro 128

What games do you play?
How bad is the 9800 pro 128 performing?
How long do you think it will be before you are ready to do an upgrade to
new MB with PCI-e?

--
Scotter

. ..

Lew/+Silat November 7th 05 06:06 PM

XFX 6800 replaces sapphire 9800 pro 128

Scotter,

I play a game called Aces High. Its a flight sim. I was thinking of
upgrading in the first quarter of next year..
Its not the money :) Just wondering if I can get a little better
performance in the mean time...

--
Lew/+Silat

Scotter wrote:
What games do you play?
How bad is the 9800 pro 128 performing?
How long do you think it will be before you are ready to do an
upgrade to new MB with PCI-e?

. ..

Dan November 7th 05 06:15 PM

XFX 6800 replaces sapphire 9800 pro 128

I really wouldn't waste the money. The 6800 performs a little better than
the 6600GT which in turn performs a little better then your current card. In
my opinion it would be a waste of cash. Save for a better card when you
build a new computer with PCI-E or purchase something like the 6800GT.

Dan

Scotter November 7th 05 06:16 PM

XFX 6800 replaces sapphire 9800 pro 128

When you upgrade, are you planning on passing your system down to someone or
selling it? Or are you planning on gutting it?

--
Scotter

Scotter wrote:
What games do you play?
How bad is the 9800 pro 128 performing?
How long do you think it will be before you are ready to do an
upgrade to new MB with PCI-e?

. ..

Scotter November 7th 05 06:29 PM

XFX 6800 replaces sapphire 9800 pro 128

I agree with Dan.
Here is a comprehensive comparison of those two generations of cards at
Tom's Hardwa
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...705/index.html
Note: at bottom of page is "next" to take you on to other parts, including
benchmarks.
So you will see the vanilla 6800 is not that much better than your 9800
Pro... IMHO if you are going to upgrade in just 2 or 3 months, I would wait
.... or find a way to do that upgrade a bit sooner.

And just in case you are still thinking about *what* you will upgrade to:

Check out ARS' System Guide:
http://arstechnica.com/guides/buyer/...ide-200508.ars

I'm currently running an AMD Opteron 250, 2.4ghz (like FX-53), 2 gig Corsair
XMS ECC RAM, 550W PS, and a BFG 6800 GT OC (AGP).

I'm planning on upgrading very soon to something like:

For processor: Either dual Opteron 252's or 254's or a dual core AMD 64 -
the reason I would go dual Opterons instead of a dual core is your dual core
CPUs lag in MHz behind what is offered in Opterons right now. And it would
be nice to use my same ECC RAM, even though it is *slightly* slower than
non-ECC RAM. AND, if I go the dual processor route, I can get a motherboard
that will support my current CPU so I can upgrade in stages, first stage
being to just get the new motherboard and video card. The motherboard, btw,
I'm thinking of is Tyan's Thunder K8WE, which has gotten some rave reviews.
I'll be adding 2 more gig of RAM to this board so it can have 2 gig
dedicated per processor. Mmmmmmmm!

For video card: Waiting on the 512MB version of the 7800GTX. Will probably
go with BFG brand again if I can, since I was quite happy with it. BUT I'm
reading some good things about ATi's new 512MB 1800XT card (mainly how it
handles AA vs. nVidia's card) so we'll see what the next few weeks brings in
reviews and products.

--
Scotter

. ..

Lew/+Silat November 7th 05 08:18 PM

XFX 6800 replaces sapphire 9800 pro 128

Scotter I will use parts from the old to new if possible but if not then I
will pass the puter on to a friend in need...
I posted on the ati group as to the opinion of upgrading to the 800xl for
the meantime,but Im getting a feeling that no one thinks the upgrade to the
6800 or the 800xl will be a performance boost in the game.

Lew/+Silat

billt94 November 17th 05 05:37 AM

"" wrote:
Is it worth it to do this upgrade? Im not ready to jump to
next puter with
pci E.

Lew/+Silat

p4 northwood 2.8 800fsb
1 gig ram
430 power

Speaking from experience, I have to say that if you are sticking with
agp for now, the 6800gt with 256 megs of ram is the way to go. If you
can find one, get the Leadtek brand, it has a huge heat sink on it,
sort of like the ultra(but for 200 bucks less), and allowing you to
overclock the thing past ultra speeds. I got lucky and bought mine
from newegg just before they sold out. But any other brand is good
too, you might want to buy a heatsink with it though...

I can run F.E.A.R. and hl2 with all settings maxed and no lag at
all. I don’t really see a need to dump everything and goto PCI-EXP
right. Kind of annoying really IMO that they are forcing people to go
with PCI-Exp which doesn’t seem to have any real benefit at the
moment, other than being able to use a 7800 card and sli. I don’t
know, by the time the 6800 doesn’t cut it, the 7800’s problem won’t
either, and there will be something with 64 pipelines, 2000 meghz, ram
(1 gig worth), etc...

Okay, I’m rambling on...so yeah get a 6800gt, mine was about 280.00
bucks from newegg, not a bad deal...

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/XFX-68...pict64678.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=324376

billt94 November 17th 05 05:37 AM

"" wrote:
Is it worth it to do this upgrade? Im not ready to jump to
next puter with
pci E.

Lew/+Silat

p4 northwood 2.8 800fsb
1 gig ram
430 power

I just wanted to add that you may want a bigger power supply. The
6800, (and even the 6600) sucks alot of juice. I would go for a
quality 500 watt at the least. My aspire 600 watt cost around 100
bucks, and works great. I think there’s a 550 version as well for a
little less too...

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/XFX-68...pict64678.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=324377