HardwareBanter

-   General (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   advice on gaming system upgrade (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=3320)

ES January 27th 04 10:55 PM

advice on gaming system upgrade

Hey folks,

Let's say you had the following system:

AMD Athlon XP 2800+
ASUS A7N8X motherboard (for socket A chips)
1 GB Infineon DDR400 RAM (2x512 MB sticks)
Gainward NVIDA GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8 with 128 MB
Terratec Aureon 7.1 Space soundcard
WinXP Home 2002 with SP1

And you had about 300 Euros / 380 US Dollars to spend on upgrading it. And
you wanted to play a mix of games like American Conquest, Mafia, Pro
Evolution Soccer 3, Mediaval Total War.

What you go buy next to get the best performance boost for your buck/Euro?

Thanks for any advice :-)

Cheers, ES

Chris Stolworthy January 28th 04 04:59 AM

What kind of HDD? I ave noticed that those 8mb cache drives do speed the
system up considerably.

Stacey January 28th 04 05:50 AM

ES wrote:

Hey folks,

Let's say you had the following system:

AMD Athlon XP 2800+
ASUS A7N8X motherboard (for socket A chips)
1 GB Infineon DDR400 RAM (2x512 MB sticks)
Gainward NVIDA GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8 with 128 MB
Terratec Aureon 7.1 Space soundcard
WinXP Home 2002 with SP1

And you had about 300 Euros / 380 US Dollars to spend on upgrading it. And
you wanted to play a mix of games like American Conquest, Mafia, Pro
Evolution Soccer 3, Mediaval Total War.

What you go buy next to get the best performance boost for your buck/Euro?

A killer video card. I went from the card you have to an ATI 9800 pro and
doubled + the frame rates. The rest of your system is plenty fast enough,
the video card is the bottle neck.

--

Stacey