HardwareBanter

-   Dell Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   It's alive!!! (and not) (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=148925)

Tom Scales April 6th 07 07:59 PM

It's alive!!! (and not)

As a last ditch effort, I decided to completely repeat all troubleshooting
steps on my GX620. I pulled everything out -- memory, hard drive, DVD
burner. No keyboard, no mouse, no LAN.

Nothing.

I then took a known good DIMM and tried it (by itself) in each memory
socket.

Surprise, surprise, in socket 3 or 4, the machine booted. I know I tried
this before and it didn't boot, but perhaps I was confused.

So, I moved the two DIMMs to 3 and 4 and it is alive. I can live without 1
and 2, since I only need 1Gb in this machine.

Weird, but happy.

oops, before I could even send this, it died again. Third boot. Lights 3 &
4.

Wonder what could cause an intermittent problem?

journey April 6th 07 08:22 PM

It's alive!!! (and not)

On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 14:59:48 -0400, "Tom Scales"
wrote:

Surprise, surprise, in socket 3 or 4, the machine booted. I know I tried
this before and it didn't boot, but perhaps I was confused.

So, I moved the two DIMMs to 3 and 4 and it is alive. I can live without 1
and 2, since I only need 1Gb in this machine.

Weird, but happy.

oops, before I could even send this, it died again. Third boot. Lights 3 &
4.

Wonder what could cause an intermittent problem?

Congrats on the persistence! I often say that I can "hack my way"
through problems, but maybe that's what professionals do too (to a
certain extent).

Tom Scales April 6th 07 09:32 PM

It's alive!!! (and not)

No, oddly no errors. When it boots, it runs flawlessly.

I did, however, get a NIC failure on startup when it worked. Feels like the
motherboard going blooey (a highly technical term).

First desktop to EVER fail on me.

Nota Clu April 6th 07 09:45 PM

It's alive!!! (and not)

Sounds like the error is between the keyboard and the user ;-0)

HDRDTD April 6th 07 10:02 PM

It's alive!!! (and not)

Exactly what my E510 would do. Every once in a great while after
disconnecting everything, rubbing my belly, patting my head while turning in
a CW direction while flying a kite, then reinstalling everything, it would
boot.

But never for very long.