HardwareBanter

-   Overclocking AMD Processors (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   ABIT NF7-S - Northbridge HSF - Weird Power plug? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=14342)

Wayne Youngman May 18th 04 05:03 PM

ABIT NF7-S - Northbridge HSF - Weird Power plug?

Greetings,

Just servicing the ATHLON machine I built last year and sold in Feb, taken
it to pieces for a complete rebuild. Just took off the Northbridge HSF, and
yes hardly any contact was being made. I had just been running the PC
before I stripped it so the white goo was runny and the thing came off easy.

Anyway I was gonna replace the stock NB-HSF with a Vantec Iceberg but I just
noticed that the power plug on both the NF7-S and the NB-HSF is a midget
thing? not the same as the plug on the Iceberg *or* the other power headers
on the NF7-S mobo. Just took a look at my new AI7 and that has a *standard*
power plug on the NB-HSF.

Not sure if its possible to take the Back/Red wire from the midget plug and
somehow fit it into the standard one?

Any comments?
--
Wayne ][

Hippy Paul May 18th 04 06:48 PM

"Wayne Youngman" wrote in message
[...]

could always be crude and cut both cables and twist & solder the end you
want to wires you want, then cover with insulation tape
otherwise prise it apart and reassemble with superglue
- should see some of my improvised connectors...

Chris May 18th 04 09:56 PM

Anyway I was gonna replace the stock NB-HSF with a Vantec Iceberg but I
just
noticed that the power plug on both the NF7-S and the NB-HSF is a midget
thing? not the same as the plug on the Iceberg *or* the other power

headers
on the NF7-S mobo. Just took a look at my new AI7 and that has a

*standard*
power plug on the NB-HSF.

Not sure if its possible to take the Back/Red wire from the midget plug

and
somehow fit it into the standard one?

Any comments?
--
Wayne ][

I was thinking of replacing the NB-fan on my nf7s with a spare Iceberq4 VGA
cooler I have, its 100% copper and seems to have the same power headers as
those on the mainboard. All it would entail is cutting off the mounts for
the vga card and a little of the as3 thermal adhesive! I want to replace my
2 x 256 PC3200 cl2 OCZ ram so I can go to a gig of ram, any suggestions that
may help me hit 220 - 230 fsb? or am i better staying 2 x 256 to hit these
speeds?

chris

OZoNE May 19th 04 03:27 AM

"Chris" wrote in message
[...]

My CL2 OCZ ram does 210 with 8-3-3-3 timings and 200 with 7-2-2-2.
Try relaxing the timings a little with ram ya have ...if not look at the
PC3500 OCZ Platnum ram if you want to keep cl2 imings at that high FSB
OZoNE

John Smith May 19th 04 02:48 PM

I disconnected the HSF months ago because it was prodicing horrible noise.
My machine is on DDR333 FSB and I had no problems yet. I should replace the
vent (still under warranty), but I still don't feel like tearing the whole
computer apart just to fix this, neither can I miss my machine for a week -
that's how long it would take for a dealer to replace it.

Wayne Youngman May 19th 04 06:00 PM

"John Smith" wrote
I disconnected the HSF months ago because it was prodicing horrible noise.
My machine is on DDR333 FSB and I had no problems yet. I should replace

the
vent (still under warranty), but I still don't feel like tearing the whole
computer apart just to fix this, neither can I miss my machine for a

week -
that's how long it would take for a dealer to replace it.

Hi,
that handy to know, as the standard NB-HSF is not that good. I just it off
the NF7-S and took it apart, lapped it etc and re-installed it using some
Arctic Compound. I think a passive Zalman may be a good option. . .
--
Wayne ][

anthonyi May 20th 04 08:34 AM

I found the passive Zalman's to work just fine on the NF7-S NB...just make
sure there's airflow through the case.

It was a relief to lose the stock Abit cooler's fan noise!