HardwareBanter

-   -   Somebody stop me!! (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=53184)

Dwood February 9th 04 10:11 PM

Somebody stop me!!

Im planning to go to ati on their 9800 pro series for a card i can use for
at least 6 months fx series is a great disappointment to me been with
5200-f5700u and never got a smooth game through. The smoothest card i had
with nvidia is a visiontek mx400 still runs better than my 5200u +some in
gameability havent seen the 5900 but why waste more cash?

Clock´n Roll February 9th 04 10:33 PM

"Dwood" skrev i en meddelelse
Im planning to go to ati on their 9800 pro series for a card i can use for
at least 6 months fx series is a great disappointment to me been with
5200-f5700u and never got a smooth game through. The smoothest card i had
with nvidia is a visiontek mx400 still runs better than my 5200u +some in
gameability havent seen the 5900 but why waste more cash?

I´m playing NFSU, CoD, MaxPayne2 and my Point of View 5900XT is doing great.
V-sync on at 75Hz, 12**x 10**, activated 8xAA, 8xAF, all details on.
Had it OC for a while, too.
Got 6269 3Dmarks.
An exellent card in my opinion.

warlord716 February 10th 04 02:41 AM

"Dwood" wrote in message
Im planning to go to ati on their 9800 pro series for a card i can use for
at least 6 months fx series is a great disappointment to me been with
5200-f5700u and never got a smooth game through. The smoothest card i had
with nvidia is a visiontek mx400 still runs better than my 5200u +some in
gameability havent seen the 5900 but why waste more cash?

I am still running a ti4200 and it is doing excellent on most games still.

The 5700 ultra is a decent card and a worthy competotor to the 9600xt.
But for about $170-200 you can get a 5900nonultra which is much better than
anything in its segment. Additionally, it can easily be flashed to a 5950
ultra. google it for more info.

That way for $200 you get a card with an almost (a little less onboard ram i
think) the capability of a fx5950 ultra which is awesome...

I would stay with nvidia if i were you

just my $.02

Philburg2 February 10th 04 03:23 AM

I hear NV40 cards are right around the corner and will improve the DX9
problems. If you can wait till May, you can get something that will
probably smoke the new ATI products. Its currently all speculation, but I
have faith....

Dark Avenger February 10th 04 04:40 AM

"Dwood" wrote in message .. .
Im planning to go to ati on their 9800 pro series for a card i can use for
at least 6 months fx series is a great disappointment to me been with
5200-f5700u and never got a smooth game through. The smoothest card i had
with nvidia is a visiontek mx400 still runs better than my 5200u +some in
gameability havent seen the 5900 but why waste more cash?

Strange..very strange. The FX5700U is tested very good, par with the
9600XT, atleast that is what benchmarks tell.

Of course getting a card to get stable to run on every system is...
theoraticly only 99% possible.

It seems your motherboard or setup doesn't likes nvidia cards..atleast
not FX cards.

Oh, yes the latest nvidia drivers are indeed not of the quality we
used to have...very badly!

John Lewis February 10th 04 07:25 AM

On 9 Feb 2004 20:40:49 -0800, (Dark Avenger) wrote:

"Dwood" wrote in message .. .
Im planning to go to ati on their 9800 pro series for a card i can use for
at least 6 months fx series is a great disappointment to me been with
5200-f5700u and never got a smooth game through. The smoothest card i had
with nvidia is a visiontek mx400 still runs better than my 5200u +some in
gameability havent seen the 5900 but why waste more cash?

Strange..very strange. The FX5700U is tested very good, par with the
9600XT, atleast that is what benchmarks tell.

Of course getting a card to get stable to run on every system is...
theoraticly only 99% possible.

It seems your motherboard or setup doesn't likes nvidia cards..atleast
not FX cards.

Oh, yes the latest nvidia drivers are indeed not of the quality we
used to have...very badly!

If you are running FX cards, the 53.03 (WinXP) or 53.04 ( win ME, 98)
driver is just fine. I have a large collection of PC games. Nary a
problem with any of them (system P4, Audigy2). Maybe you should
re-install your system and upgrade your MB and sound drivers if you
have a FX card with problems.

John Lewis

Dark Avenger February 10th 04 10:47 AM

"Philburg2" wrote in message m...
I hear NV40 cards are right around the corner and will improve the DX9
problems. If you can wait till May, you can get something that will
probably smoke the new ATI products. Its currently all speculation, but I
have faith....

"warlord716 yahoo.com" warlord716@NOSPAM wrote in message

I personly hope that the DX9 problems are not improved ( even more problems..eeeh )

And untill both NV40 and R4x is out we simply don't know!

Darthy February 11th 04 10:14 AM

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 22:11:59 GMT, "Dwood" wrote:

Im planning to go to ati on their 9800 pro series for a card i can use for
at least 6 months fx series is a great disappointment to me been with
5200-f5700u and never got a smooth game through. The smoothest card i had
with nvidia is a visiontek mx400 still runs better than my 5200u +some in
gameability havent seen the 5900 but why waste more cash?

fx5900 non ultras are about $180, quite a good deal. but I've seen
ATI brand 9800Pros on the shelf at Frys, new in boxes for $250.

Add fx5500 to your dissapointment,

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Darthy February 11th 04 10:16 AM

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 23:33:54 +0100, "Clock´n Roll"
wrote:

"Dwood" skrev i en meddelelse
. ..
Im planning to go to ati on their 9800 pro series for a card i can use for
at least 6 months fx series is a great disappointment to me been with
5200-f5700u and never got a smooth game through. The smoothest card i had
with nvidia is a visiontek mx400 still runs better than my 5200u +some in
gameability havent seen the 5900 but why waste more cash?

I´m playing NFSU, CoD, MaxPayne2 and my Point of View 5900XT is doing great.
V-sync on at 75Hz, 12**x 10**, activated 8xAA, 8xAF, all details on.
Had it OC for a while, too.
Got 6269 3Dmarks.
An exellent card in my opinion.

I assume you mean 3DMark01? Depending on your CPU, RAM and junkware
on your computer - it should be twice that.

My Ti4200 gets just under 10,000.

raj February 11th 04 06:24 PM

my ti 4200 gets just at 12500
my rig is
3200+ athlon xp (no oc) 120 giger dvd burner asus v9280 gefroce 4 ti 4200 8x
agp a7n8x dlx :)
"Darthy" wrote in message
On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 23:33:54 +0100, "Clock´n Roll"
wrote:

. ..