HardwareBanter

-   -   NVidia dumped from Xbox 2 - Official (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=50211)

Byron Hinson August 14th 03 02:36 PM

NVidia dumped from Xbox 2 - Official

http://www.activewin.com/awin/commen...=19548&Group=1

Well if it means we'll finally have Nvidia making better cards for PC's I'm
all for it.

neopolaris August 14th 03 08:10 PM

Friends don't let friends play CONSOLE games......

magnulus August 14th 03 08:33 PM

"Byron Hinson" wrote in message
http://www.activewin.com/awin/commen...=19548&Group=1

Well if it means we'll finally have Nvidia making better cards for PC's

I'm
all for it.

One of NVidia's execs hinted at this a while back, that XBox 2 wasn't a
certainty for them, and that their main focus was the PC as a multimedia and
gaming hub, one of the reasons they have branched off into motherboard
chipsets.

John Lewis August 16th 03 04:33 AM

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 00:12:39 GMT, MAD wrote:

Wow the fanboys sure are trying to put a negative spin on this. The
facts are Nvidia had problems keeping up the MS's demands and MS
dumped Nvidia and went with ATI. ATI is gonna get a lot of money and
be in a lot of homes.

If:-

Selling price to MS manufacturing cost

Ati 's profit-line goes negative and heads will roll. Ati has
continued to make minimal or negative profits for the last
few years.

The $$ is king in the console hardware business. Nothing to do
with graphics technology, which has to be dumbed-down from PC
performance to meet the performance and cost objectives.

MS (just like Sony and Nintendo) will NEVER make money
selling console HARDWARE, and they will make quite sure
that as much of the loss as possible trickles down to their
suppliers. I suspect that after their Xbox experience, nVidia
gave MS an honest bid that MS did not like and MS went
looking for the next sucker.............

MS and Ati should make excellent bed-fellows with
MS playing the role of the black widow spider and Ati
her unfortunate mate.

This is just another set back for the fallen
graphics king.

Frees up resources at nVidia for projects that can make real
money.

John Lewis