HardwareBanter

-   Asus Motherboards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   cant get p4p800 working, multiple problems (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=30084)

lucky December 29th 03 02:20 AM

cant get p4p800 working, multiple problems

win 98se
new 400 watt power supply
512 ram
2.4 p4
4x 1.5v agp card

It took me hours to get to this point. I isolated one problem to a bad
new cable. Now I can get win98se to boot in safe mode but not in
normal. I get the CONFIGMG error described in this article

I tried the APM setting they said. Didn't work. I don't know how to
disable L2 and can't seem to find it in the manual.

I was going to try d/l a new bios however I cannot get my floppy or even
my cdrw working. The light to the floppy is solid green. I imagine I did
hear it a few times during rebooting. The cdrw is recognized in control
panel/system under safe mode, but I cannot access the floppy or the cd
drive upon bootup. I tried 2 floppy cables. The don't seem to go all the
way into the m/b but since they are both in the same way, and it's
correct per the notch in the cable, I don't think I could have 2 bad cables.

Regarding the solid green light, can you confirm the white wires are all
ground? I was worried I hooked them up wrong for the reset buttons and
just have the reset and power switches hooked up now. But before that,
the hard drive light was also on solid.

Upon bootup I get no devices found but if I go into the bios, I can find
the c drive listed just fine. The cd drive is not listed.

I'm totally lost and frustrated. I tried changing the P-ata and S-ata
settings to only p-ata but that didn't help. Should it just be on P ata?

Thank you for reading thru this mess. I'm so frustrated right now. I'd
appreciate any input. I'd think getting the floppy or cd would be a
priority though I can't believe win98se would need to be installed again
since safe mode works fine and there are no errors in control panel
system. I bet there is one setting I'm missing..arghhh

lucky December 29th 03 02:45 AM

the flopply noise may have been a CD i had in the cd drive...i took it
out and haven't heard the floppy since

no_one December 29th 03 02:53 AM

floppy on is likely a backwords cable (check at floppy end)

m...

Don Girard December 29th 03 03:27 AM

"lucky" wrote in message
[...]

Make sure Hyper-threading is disabled when using win98/se

lucky December 29th 03 03:46 AM

floppy now works Thanks!

no_one wrote:

floppy on is likely a backwords cable (check at floppy end)

m...

lucky December 29th 03 03:54 AM

Don Girard wrote:

Make sure Hyper-threading is disabled when using win98/se

Did it. Also disabled stuff like raid, lan and other things. What still
puzzles me is that when I first boot, it says no devices attached but
yet when I get to bios, I can see my 15 gig drive just fine. I'd like to
note that if I change the enhanced/compatible IDE mode the c drive moves
from primary to third drive. So I'm not sure which one I should be in? I
have actually tried all possible combos, I think, and it didn't make
a difference, nothing showed while booting. So still I'm left with the
configmg error.

Also I do now realize it doesn't matter what shows up in control
panel/system. My modem is out of my board and it still shows up. So what
I said before about my cd being noticed there is totally meaningless in
safe mode.

I booted with a win 98 bootup disk and still couldn't get to my cd drive
so I guess I need to work on that so maybe something on the asus cd
could help.

I'm not so sure a bios d/l will help me, I noticed I have 1010 upon
bootup and from the asus site it seems that's the latest. Any other
things that may help me from the board site?

http://www.asus.com/support/download...4P800%20Deluxe

I even deleted power management so hopefully if there was a problem with
that, it's gone.

signed,
still frustrated

Ziggy December 29th 03 04:02 AM

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 02:54:44 GMT, lucky
wrote:

How much RAM do you have installed?
The limit with ME is 512meg and may be less with 98SE.
That will give you install problems.In all honesty, you should be
running XP with this kind of setup.

lucky December 29th 03 04:24 AM

Ziggy wrote:

How much RAM do you have installed?
The limit with ME is 512meg and may be less with 98SE.
That will give you install problems.In all honesty, you should be
running XP with this kind of setup.

2 - 256/2100 or 2700. The box said 2100 but the ram itself was labeled 2700.
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;253912 says 512
is ok plus I don't get the out of memory error

Thanks for the try though, keep the ideas coming

If (and I'm not suggesting you do) you could guarantee xp would solve
the problem, I'd probably do it. But we both know you can't :) I'm
gonna get this if it takes all year.

lucky December 29th 03 05:11 AM

I found the below old posting and was wondering what you thought of it
and if it would be worth such an extreme measu

Your problem is that most of the settings in Device Manager,
particularly the System Devices tree, but also the controllers
and ports, and the network adapter if it was onboard
the old motherboard, are all related to the old motherboard.
You may even now have 2 sets of entries. Set #1 being a
leftover from the old motherboard, and Set #2, which are
the ones that you need, being based on the new motherboard.

You may find this difficult to swallow, but what you need to do
is to go through of those Device Manager entries and
remove them. ALL of them. Then load the chipset drivers
that came with your motherboard and reboot. Windows
will then detect and initialize the settings for your new board.

Then you should install your video drivers. As many modems
are not plug-and-play, you may then have to force-feed
your modem drivers to the PC.

lucky December 29th 03 07:33 AM

After much fiddling, I got the c drive and cd working. Then I decided to
reinstall win 98 SE. I got windows to boot normally and haven't
touched a thing in bios so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I have to
reload a bunch of drivers because I got an initial bootup error about
child drivers or something like that. I just hope that reinstalling
drivers doesn't make things bad again.

Also I lost my secondary IDE after I put the cd drive back on it and
also my other HD so it must be a cable issue there.

Thanks for your suggestions.