HardwareBanter

-   Homebuilt PC's (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Cyrix Instead 6 x 86 (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=20194)

pb June 9th 04 06:05 PM

Cyrix Instead 6 x 86

I am working on an old machine and trying to save some $$$. Is it
possible to add USB ports (at least 2) and a NIC to a American
Megatrends Motherboard with a CytrixIntsead 6 x 86 Processor?
I also need to add some more memory. Any suggestions would be helpful,
please try to include specs.

Thanks

Dave C. June 9th 04 08:41 PM

"pb" wrote in message
om...
I am working on an old machine and trying to save some $$$. Is it
possible to add USB ports (at least 2) and a NIC to a American
Megatrends Motherboard with a CytrixIntsead 6 x 86 Processor?
I also need to add some more memory. Any suggestions would be helpful,
please try to include specs.

Thanks

Does it have (2) open PCI expansion slots?
Does it run Windows 98 SE (second edition) or later?
Can you find old memory for it for a reasonable price?

I think your stumbling block here is probably going to be memory. If you
can't get it upgraded to 256MB or more for a reasonable price, stop there.
You need to find out the exact make and model number of the motherboard to
determing type and configuration of supported memory, as well as
compatibility with existing RAM. That is, to upgrade your memory, you might
have to REPLACE your existing memory. But the only way to figure that out
is to read the manual for the motherboard. Once you figure out EXACTLY what
type of RAM the motherboard will take, search for it on ebay and froogle.
If you are successful in finding RAM to upgrade it to 256MB or better, then
proceed. . .

Again, is it running 98SE or later OS? Does it have two open PCI expansion
slots? You should be able to get a NIC and an PCI format expansion slot to
add USB ports really CHEAP off ebay or froogle or pricewatch. But make sure
you figure out how much this project is going to cost you, including the
memory upgrade and shipping charges, before you order anything.

You might find it's cheaper to start with a new barebone system, as most
motherboards now have built-in USB and NIC. Also with a barebone system,
you are likely to be able to afford more memory than you could hope to ever
install on that 6x86 class system. -Dave

Patrick June 10th 04 12:44 PM

Dave C. wrote:
"pb" wrote in message
om...

[...]

If you want to, it will run run Linux, and, if you need a router,
firewall, or network thinclient, it could do well, also.
http://ltsp.org for the thin client data.

IPCOP for the dedicated and hardened firewall/router - check out on
http://distrowatch.com

To run any modern OS, my minimum is 300 Mhz cpu, and 96Mb RAM.
But, I prefer at least a 400Mhz cpu, with 128Mb RAM.

Anything slower or less can be an IPCOP router/firewall.

Been finding IBM DeskPro 5000/ 6000 (PII 500 through PIII 667 Mhz
systems) from $79.00 at salvage dealers (depending upon included
features/accessories), flea markets, and computer shows such as
http://marketproshows.com , and, http://pricewatch.com or your local
junk dealer, salvage outlet, or, school board auction (pallets of 30 -
35 systems boxes run about $300, here, in the auctions).

Patrick June 10th 04 12:59 PM

Dave C. wrote:
"pb" wrote in message
om...

[...]

Oops, whatever was I thinking, before my first cup of Gevalia coffee in
the FREE carafe / maker? I forgot to post with some punctuation, in the
computer named descriptions... in my previous post! Or, I might be too
anal...

I have bought Compaq Deskpro, Dell Optiplex, and IBM pc's starting at
$10. Ya gotta becareful on many of the different models, as the cpu
speed is buried in the bios... Pricewatch.com lists some decent systems
starting very cheap, about $60 - $80. Make sure the parts are listed.
ebay is not os bad a choice, either...

Mac Cool June 11th 04 03:59 AM

Patrick said:

(pallets of 30 -
35 systems boxes run about $300, here, in the auctions)

I have become wary of pallets. It seems that greedy fingers manage to take
anything of value that can be removed, like extra memory, vid/snd cards,
NICs, etc.
--
Mac Cool