HardwareBanter

-   Asus Motherboards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Asus A7A266 (1.03) Motherboard max CPU speed (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=25562)

Neil Turkenkopf June 24th 03 01:37 AM

Asus A7A266 (1.03) Motherboard max CPU speed

Hi Paul,

I have an A7A266 1.03 also, and I recently flashed my BIOS too. (I upgraded
my video card and wanted/needed to have the latest BIOS to make everything
run right.) I'm running XP Pro as well, and still made the bootable floppy
by right-clicking my A drive and selecting "Create an MS_DOS startup disk"
from the Format menu! It worked like a charm, even though I was a bit
nervous at first because it was my first flash.

Hope this helps!
--
Neil ¦¬D

"Paul" wrote in message
om...
Hi Guys

Thanks for the help I manged to find this really cool site that
identifys AMD chips,
http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/ht...roduct_id.html
Anyway now ive got another problem im trying to flash the bios as
described by ASUS
http://www.asus.com.tw/support/engli...ios/index.aspx
the problem is im using winXP pro and am supposed to do this

1)Create a bootable system floppy disk by typing [FORMAT A:/S] from
the DOS prompt without creating "AUTOEXEC.BAT" and "CONFIG.SYS"
files.

2)Copy AFLASH.EXE to the boot disk you created.

3) Run AFLASH.EXE from this new disk and select option [ 1. Save
Current BIOS to File].
See 1. Save Current BIOS To File on the previous page for more details
and the rest of the steps.

1) I cant create a bootdisk like that in XP so I have created one
manualy with this files on it boot.ini, ntldr, ntdetect and addded
aflash.

When I run alfash.exe I get the error message "this program cant' run
under proteted mode" anyideas to get around this?

Thanks
Paul

RJT wrote in message
Paul wrote:
Hello All

I have an Asus A7A266 PCB (1.03) and have basicly just bought an AMD
2400 FSB266
(AXDA2400DKV3C)to be honest not sure if its model 8 or 10.

The model 8 should work just fine. The model 10 has a different voltage
I believe, and is not 266 but 333 Mhz - at least that is what I thought.
A little googling will help you there.

According to ASUS I cant upgrade higher than a 1.4 AMD thunderbird
with my PCB 1.03. see below.

True, and ASUS got it wrong, strangely enough. BIOS 1012 supports the
model 8 Athlon's, even for the 1.03 board. I know because that is what I
have (I've got a 2000+ though).

GL

RJT