HardwareBanter

-   Asus Motherboards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   A8V bios update problem (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=35002)

no spam October 23rd 04 06:27 AM

A8V bios update problem

Hello,

I have an Asus A8V (revision 1.02) with an AMD64 3500+ CPU. My boot drive
is a WD Raptor (36gig) configured to run off one of the VIA Sata connectors.
I also have a standard IDE Seagate 160gig connected to the IDE 1 port as
well as two 160gig Sata Seagates configured as RAID 0 running off the
Promise connectors.

I cannot seem to update the bios from 1006 to 1007 without it resulting in
problems. When I upgraded the bios to 1007 I was left with a machine to
would not boot, no boot messages on the screen, nothing. I manged to
reinstall the previous bios and the machine machine functioned normally.
Just in case it was just a problem with that particular bios (1007), I
thought I'd try an update the bios to the latest beta version 1008.002.
Unfortunately I got the same result.... a dead boot, with nothing happening.
I did note however, when I truned the machine off (holding the on/off button
for more than four seconds) and then, with my finger on the keyboard's 'F1'
button, I turned the machine back on the machine was able to boot. I
repeated this procedure a number of times to ensure that this would work
this way (ie booting whilst holding onto the F1 button).

Anyway, I still don't think it is satisfactory to have to boot my machine by
holding gown the F1 button. There is something wrong. I am back to bios
1006 and the machine boots normally again.

BTW I had previously upgraded from bios 1003 to 1006 without any problems.
Anyone experiencing similar problems??

Regards,
Shane