HardwareBanter

-   AMD x86-64 Processors (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   2 cpu on one chip. (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=8713)

the gnome May 18th 04 05:01 PM

2 cpu on one chip.

I keep seeing reports that AMD are going to do a 2 on 1 chip but am confused
as to the number of pins.

Will this chip replaced the AMD 64 chip, with 900 and something pins, or
will they be an upgrade route for an opteron.

Anyone know ?

the_gnome

rstlne May 18th 04 08:42 PM

"the gnome" wrote in message
I keep seeing reports that AMD are going to do a 2 on 1 chip but am

confused
as to the number of pins.

Will this chip replaced the AMD 64 chip, with 900 and something pins, or
will they be an upgrade route for an opteron.

Anyone know ?

the_gnome

Same pins as my understanding of it goes.

Tone-EQ May 18th 04 08:44 PM

I keep seeing reports that AMD are going to do a 2 on 1 chip but am
confused
as to the number of pins.

Will this chip replaced the AMD 64 chip, with 900 and something pins, or
will they be an upgrade route for an opteron.

Anyone know ?

Advanced Micro Devices Inc. will release dual-core Opteron processors for
servers and workstations in 2005, the same time frame that Intel Corp. plans
for its first dual-core products, an AMD executive said Monday.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/...ualcore_1.html

Seems to me that they will use the same socket as the current range of
Opteron socket 940 or socket 939, whichever is more suitable at the time.
--
Regards,
Tony. (tony.cue(at)tiscali.co.uk)

Discogs: building the definitive database of electronic music...
http://www.discogs.com

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (Revision 1.01, BIOS 1008)
AMD AthlonXP 3200+ (Barton, 11 x 200, 1.65VCore)

the gnome May 19th 04 05:36 AM

Seems to me that they will use the same socket as the current range of
Opteron socket 940 or socket 939, whichever is more suitable at the time.

That makes it a bit difficult to purchase a mobo and opterons now, unless
you can just clip off the excess pin at a later date :)

the_gnome

General Schvantzkoph May 19th 04 09:19 PM

On Wed, 19 May 2004 05:36:34 +0100, the gnome wrote:

Seems to me that they will use the same socket as the current range of
Opteron socket 940 or socket 939, whichever is more suitable at the time.

That makes it a bit difficult to purchase a mobo and opterons now, unless
you can just clip off the excess pin at a later date :)

the_gnome

The are definitely doing it for the Opteron (940 pin) they haven't decided
if they are going to do it for the consumer part (939 pin). My guess is
that they will but it might not happen until a couple of quarters after
the server parts come out. If you really want a dual core upgrade path
then buy an Opteron board now. Personally I wouldn't worry about future
compatibility, you can always buy a new motherboard when the time comes.
Chances are when the dual core parts come out they'll support DDRII RAM so
you'll want to upgrade your RAM also. There will also be SATA drives that
support command queueing so you'll want a new drive to go with the new CPU
and RAM. You see where I'm going with this, in two years there will be
enough improvements in the other components of your system that you'll
want a whole new box anyway.

Post Replies Here Please May 22nd 04 12:54 PM

"General" == General Schvantzkoph writes:

General On Wed, 19 May 2004 05:36:34 +0100, the gnome wrote:
Seems to me that they will use the same socket as the current
range of Opteron socket 940 or socket 939, whichever is more
suitable at the time.

That makes it a bit difficult to purchase a mobo and opterons now,
unless you can just clip off the excess pin at a later date :)

the_gnome

General The are definitely doing it for the Opteron (940 pin) they
General haven't decided if they are going to do it for the consumer
General part (939 pin). My guess is that they will but it might not
General happen until a couple of quarters after the server parts
General come out. If you really want a dual core upgrade path then
General buy an Opteron board now. Personally I wouldn't worry about
General future compatibility, you can always buy a new motherboard
General when the time comes. Chances are when the dual core parts
General come out they'll support DDRII RAM so you'll want to upgrade
General your RAM also. There will also be SATA drives that support
General command queueing so you'll want a new drive to go with the
General new CPU and RAM. You see where I'm going with this, in two
General years there will be enough improvements in the other
General components of your system that you'll want a whole new box
General anyway.

True in most cases after 1-2 years one has to upgrade motherboard and
cpu for many different reasons. Memory is another big reason. I would
suspect these new motherboards in 2 years will have a different memory
setup.

Does any of the current sata drives or controllers support command queueing?

Wondering? The last time I looked at sata drives they were the same as
ide drives.

Later