HardwareBanter

-   AMD x86-64 Processors (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Do you have to have 2 sticks of RAM for the AMD 64 CPU? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=8661)

Wayne Wastier April 11th 04 02:44 AM

Do you have to have 2 sticks of RAM for the AMD 64 CPU?

I just wanted to make sure that I could use my
old 3500 DDRAM with my new mobo and cpu.

Thank you,
Wayne

Povl H. Pedersen April 11th 04 08:13 AM

In article , Wayne Wastier wrote:
I just wanted to make sure that I could use my
old 3500 DDRAM with my new mobo and cpu.

The Opteron requires ECC memory, and I think the FX does.
But a plain AMD64 uses standard RAM.

Jon Back April 12th 04 05:45 AM

Been using a single stick of 3200 Mushkin on an MSI FIS Neo. Works great
and I run the FSB at 215 all day (and night). Don't know that two sticks
would be any better since my AMD64 3000+ only uses a single channel memory
controller. I'm too cheap for Opteron or FX.

DougH April 13th 04 08:28 AM

I'm too cheap for Opteron or FX.

Not cheap, just smart. They're too expensive. Besides there are changes
coming soon to the Opteron/FX boards, namely the Socket 939.

DougH

Wes Newell April 13th 04 09:24 AM

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:28:36 +0900, DougH wrote:

I'm too cheap for Opteron or FX.

Not cheap, just smart. They're too expensive. Besides there are changes
coming soon to the Opteron/FX boards, namely the Socket 939.

Not for the Opteron. It will still use the 940 and registered ram. The 64
and FX will move to 939.

Angry American April 13th 04 01:02 PM

Wes Newell wrote:
On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:28:36 +0900, DougH wrote:

I'm too cheap for Opteron or FX.

Not cheap, just smart. They're too expensive. Besides there are
changes coming soon to the Opteron/FX boards, namely the Socket 939.

Not for the Opteron. It will still use the 940 and registered ram.
The 64 and FX will move to 939.

Only the FX will move to the new socket, the 64 is it's own breed so to
speak.

Dan

Wes Newell April 13th 04 09:56 PM

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 07:02:38 -0500, Angry American wrote:

Wes Newell wrote:
On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:28:36 +0900, DougH wrote:

I'm too cheap for Opteron or FX.

Not cheap, just smart. They're too expensive. Besides there are
changes coming soon to the Opteron/FX boards, namely the Socket 939.

Not for the Opteron. It will still use the 940 and registered ram.
The 64 and FX will move to 939.

Only the FX will move to the new socket, the 64 is it's own breed so to
speak.

That's not what I read. The A64 3700+ is the last cpu scheduled for socket
754. All others will be on 939. Athlon XP's are also moving to 754
according to this for some strange reason.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1985