HardwareBanter

-   Compaq Servers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Compaq Sp700: ---> 68 PIN SCSI DISK <---- Issue with Installation of... (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=59933)

JPRW October 10th 04 05:13 AM

Compaq Sp700: ---> 68 PIN SCSI DISK <---- Issue with Installation of...

Hello Group.

I have a Compaq Professional workstation SP700 which is currerntly working
well with 2 Compaq SCSI hard Disks. I am in the need of installing a new
quantum Atlas Hard Disk.that I bought recently. I have been playing trial
and error but I am not able to make at least the BIOS recognize the Quantum
Atlas hard Disk.

I am not sure if this newsgroup accepts attachments, so I am going to give
you a my scope of the subject and if needed, I will email you the scanned
tags of the Quantum Atlas hard Disk in Jpeg format as well as an
ilustration of the jumpers and how they are curently set, in a PDF format.
B.T.W, I already went to Quantum website (but without luck) so I am still
in base #1.

These is the Jumper set in the two Compaq Hard Disks:

Compaq (Fujitsu) Compaq (Refurbished disk)
Wide Ultra SCSI 2 Wide Ultra SCSI 2
Boot Disk Slave Disk
10,00 RPM 7200 RPM
9.1 GB 9.1 GB

JUMPERS: JUMPERS
| . | ID0 | . | TP to bus
| . | ID1 | . | Reserved
| . | ID2 | . | Reserved
| . | ID3 | . | Parity Disabled
| . | Write prot | . | write protect
| . | Start cmd | . | Motor Start enabled
| X . X | Single/Wide | . | Delay Mtr Start
| . | Diff Sens | . | Force Single Ended
| . | Sp Sync
| . | IDD reset | . | (Down Arrow, like the
one used in electronics)
| . | LED | . | Res
| . | Term Pwr | . | 8
| . | 4
| . | 2
| X . X | 1
Selected Jumpers: | X. X |
And this is the jumpers currently unselected in the Quantum Atlas Hard Disk.
As I say, My goal is to make this new HD the Master and the other two ones
slaves; say the 10 RPM as Slave 1 and the 7.2RPM as the second slave.

Quantum Atlas 10K II
10.000 RPM
18.2 Gb

Wide J3
| . | TERMPWR
| . | CUSTOMIZE
| . | NO-WIDE
| . | STAGGER SPIN
| . | WR PROTECT
| . | BUSY LED
| . | NC
| . | FORCE SE
| . | DELAY SPIN
| . | FAULT SPIN
| . | SCSI ID (0)
| . | SCSI ID (1)
| . | SCSI ID (2)
| . | SCSI ID (3)

SCA: J2
| . | NC
| . | SE

I really appreciate any help that you may give me in order to make this
three disks work in my Compaq SP 700

Thanks and have a nice week!

--
Juan Pablo Rojas
Graphic Designer - Developer

NuTCrAcKeR October 10th 04 08:22 AM

Hello Juan,

Not being one to split hairs (well, ok .. I AM one to do that ...) your
terminology isnt correct. When dealing with SCSI drives, there is no
Master/Slave relationship between them. They each need unique SCSI ID's.
Based on the infomration you have provided, it appears that you have 2 disks
that are trying to be SCSI ID:0 . This isnt good. the disk with the ID of 0
is typically the drive that the system boots from.

Arrange your SCSI ID jumpers as follows, and you should be in good shape:

Atlas: no jumpers for ID's (SCSI ID = 0 , Boot Drive)
Fujitsu: jumper ID1 (SCSI ID = 1)
Refurb: jumper ID 0 and 1 (SCSI ID = 2)

In additon, if you are still having problems, make sure that the MTR Start
jumper (very small on the PCB) is jumpered as well.

Let us know how this works out for you,

- LC, Chicago

"JPRW" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hello Group.

I have a Compaq Professional workstation SP700 which is currerntly working
well with 2 Compaq SCSI hard Disks. I am in the need of installing a new
quantum Atlas Hard Disk.that I bought recently. I have been playing trial
and error but I am not able to make at least the BIOS recognize the

Quantum
Atlas hard Disk.

I am not sure if this newsgroup accepts attachments, so I am going to give
you a my scope of the subject and if needed, I will email you the scanned
tags of the Quantum Atlas hard Disk in Jpeg format as well as an
ilustration of the jumpers and how they are curently set, in a PDF format.
B.T.W, I already went to Quantum website (but without luck) so I am still
in base #1.

These is the Jumper set in the two Compaq Hard Disks:

Compaq (Fujitsu) Compaq (Refurbished disk)
Wide Ultra SCSI 2 Wide Ultra SCSI 2
Boot Disk Slave Disk
10,00 RPM 7200 RPM
9.1 GB 9.1 GB

JUMPERS: JUMPERS
| . | ID0 | . | TP to bus
| . | ID1 | . | Reserved
| . | ID2 | . | Reserved
| . | ID3 | . | Parity Disabled
| . | Write prot | . | write protect
| . | Start cmd | . | Motor Start enabled
| X . X | Single/Wide | . | Delay Mtr Start
| . | Diff Sens | . | Force Single Ended
| . | Sp Sync
| . | IDD reset | . | (Down Arrow, like

the
one used in electronics)
| . | LED | . | Res
| . | Term Pwr | . | 8
| . | 4
| . | 2
| X . X | 1
Selected Jumpers: | X. X |
And this is the jumpers currently unselected in the Quantum Atlas Hard

Disk.
As I say, My goal is to make this new HD the Master and the other two ones
slaves; say the 10 RPM as Slave 1 and the 7.2RPM as the second slave.

Quantum Atlas 10K II
10.000 RPM
18.2 Gb

Wide J3
| . | TERMPWR
| . | CUSTOMIZE
| . | NO-WIDE
| . | STAGGER SPIN
| . | WR PROTECT
| . | BUSY LED
| . | NC
| . | FORCE SE
| . | DELAY SPIN
| . | FAULT SPIN
| . | SCSI ID (0)
| . | SCSI ID (1)
| . | SCSI ID (2)
| . | SCSI ID (3)

SCA: J2

JPRW October 11th 04 04:04 AM

LC,

Thanks a lot in advance, I am going to do your advice; with a hard copy of
this reply in my hand to know what I am doing.

Of course I;lllet you know the outcome of the jumper setting and the way the
system boots

Thanks

:)

Juan

"JPRW" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hello Group.

I have a Compaq Professional workstation SP700 which is currerntly

working
well with 2 Compaq SCSI hard Disks. I am in the need of installing a new
quantum Atlas Hard Disk.that I bought recently. I have been playing

trial
and error but I am not able to make at least the BIOS recognize the

Quantum
Atlas hard Disk.

I am not sure if this newsgroup accepts attachments, so I am going to

give
you a my scope of the subject and if needed, I will email you the

scanned
tags of the Quantum Atlas hard Disk in Jpeg format as well as an
ilustration of the jumpers and how they are curently set, in a PDF

format.
B.T.W, I already went to Quantum website (but without luck) so I am

still
in base #1.

These is the Jumper set in the two Compaq Hard Disks:

Compaq (Fujitsu) Compaq (Refurbished disk)
Wide Ultra SCSI 2 Wide Ultra SCSI 2
Boot Disk Slave Disk
10,00 RPM 7200 RPM
9.1 GB 9.1 GB

JUMPERS: JUMPERS
| . | ID0 | . | TP to bus
| . | ID1 | . | Reserved
| . | ID2 | . | Reserved
| . | ID3 | . | Parity

Disabled
| . | Write prot | . | write protect
| . | Start cmd | . | Motor Start

enabled
| X . X | Single/Wide | . | Delay Mtr Start
| . | Diff Sens | . | Force Single

Ended
| . | Sp Sync
| . | IDD reset | . | (Down Arrow, like

the
one used in electronics)
| . | LED | . | Res
| . | Term Pwr | . | 8
| . | 4
| . | 2
| X . X | 1
Selected Jumpers: | X. X |
And this is the jumpers currently unselected in the Quantum Atlas Hard

Disk.
As I say, My goal is to make this new HD the Master and the other two

ones
slaves; say the 10 RPM as Slave 1 and the 7.2RPM as the second slave.

Quantum Atlas 10K II
10.000 RPM
18.2 Gb

Wide J3
| . | TERMPWR
| . | CUSTOMIZE
| . | NO-WIDE
| . | STAGGER SPIN
| . | WR PROTECT
| . | BUSY LED
| . | NC
| . | FORCE SE
| . | DELAY SPIN
| . | FAULT SPIN
| . | SCSI ID (0)
| . | SCSI ID (1)
| . | SCSI ID (2)
| . | SCSI ID (3)

SCA: J2

NuTCrAcKeR October 12th 04 05:09 AM

Juan,

Upon reflection, your disk ID;s will not be 0, 1, 2. They will be something
more like 0, 2, 3. But, it should still work out the way you want it to.

- LC

nk.net...

"JPRW" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hello Group.

I have a Compaq Professional workstation SP700 which is currerntly

working
well with 2 Compaq SCSI hard Disks. I am in the need of installing a

new
quantum Atlas Hard Disk.that I bought recently. I have been playing

trial
and error but I am not able to make at least the BIOS recognize the

Quantum
Atlas hard Disk.

I am not sure if this newsgroup accepts attachments, so I am going to

give
you a my scope of the subject and if needed, I will email you the

scanned
tags of the Quantum Atlas hard Disk in Jpeg format as well as an
ilustration of the jumpers and how they are curently set, in a PDF

format.
B.T.W, I already went to Quantum website (but without luck) so I am

still
in base #1.

These is the Jumper set in the two Compaq Hard Disks:

Compaq (Fujitsu) Compaq (Refurbished disk)
Wide Ultra SCSI 2 Wide Ultra SCSI 2
Boot Disk Slave Disk
10,00 RPM 7200 RPM
9.1 GB 9.1 GB

JUMPERS: JUMPERS
| . | ID0 | . | TP to bus
| . | ID1 | . | Reserved
| . | ID2 | . | Reserved
| . | ID3 | . | Parity

Disabled
| . | Write prot | . | write protect
| . | Start cmd | . | Motor Start

enabled
| X . X | Single/Wide | . | Delay Mtr Start
| . | Diff Sens | . | Force Single

Ended
| . | Sp Sync
| . | IDD reset | . | (Down Arrow,

like
the
one used in electronics)
| . | LED | . | Res
| . | Term Pwr | . | 8
| . | 4
| . | 2
| X . X | 1
Selected Jumpers: | X. X |
And this is the jumpers currently unselected in the Quantum Atlas Hard

Disk.
As I say, My goal is to make this new HD the Master and the other two

ones
slaves; say the 10 RPM as Slave 1 and the 7.2RPM as the second slave.

Quantum Atlas 10K II
10.000 RPM
18.2 Gb

Wide J3