HardwareBanter

-   Compaq Servers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   SmartArray 2/P -> 3200 procedure (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=59919)

Tony September 17th 04 06:44 PM

SmartArray 2/P -> 3200 procedure

Hi,

I have a 6500 PPro/200 with a 2/P array configured as RAID5 with a
backup drive. I've been thinking that I may upgrade to a Smart Array
3200 if I run across one that's a good deal on e-bay (i've seen a few
the past month or so that have gone for less than $40).

Now, my question is what would be the procedure for upgrading to the
new RAID card? There's got to be more to it than just swaping the
card and booting up....isn't there?

Thanks

Tony

NuTCrAcKeR September 18th 04 04:40 AM

Not really. Be sure to get a full system backup. the array volume config is
stored on the drive in case of controller failure. When a new controller
see's the drives, the drives will teach the controller what thier
configuation should be. Before you add the drives, boot from your smartstart
CD. (contact me at ' cpqiso at dnsplus dot net ' if you dont have one. Run
the ACU, and clear the config on the controller. Power off, put the drives
in the cage, and power back on. You should be gold.

If that doesnt work (which i have every reason to believe it should), then
re-create the array with the drives on the 3200, install the OS to something
other than what was used before, load your tape software ( or NTBackup, if
that is what you used), re configure identical partions, and restore the
system from the tape. Should use the same driver for the controller too.

Let us know how it works out.

- LC

Dan September 22nd 04 10:30 PM

Yes, please let us know. I'm ready to try the same thing my self... {With
the same type of systems)

Dan

Nut Cracker September 24th 04 06:00 AM

How about you follow the outlined process, and let us know if you have any
problems.

- LC

"Dan" . spamcop.net wrote
in message ...

Tony September 24th 04 07:33 PM

Thanks for the advice on what to try, I'll let you know how it turns
out

Dan: I haven't purchased the 3200 yet until I knew what I was in for.
By the time I actually get one cheap enough, and then devote some time
to try, I bet there will be snow on the ground and a fatman in a red
suit in my chimney.

Later

Tony

Larry September 24th 04 08:08 PM

Tony,
I think we've got a 3200 here (cheap, in working condition).

Ping me direct: larrty at skagitmedia dot com

NuTCrAcKeR September 25th 04 03:14 AM

Larry,

send an email to cpqiso at dnsplus dot net and give me your feeback about
the autoresponder.

- LC